how hard is it to move a freon line.

Old 12-07-08, 09:51 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
how hard is it to move a freon line.

I was wondering how hard (expensive) is it to move a freon hose (I think thats what it is). It kinda of looks like a metal upside down rain gutter. About 3 years ago we got new Air conditioning and they installed it right next to my electric subpanel. My electric inspector just came out and said the panel was therefore illegal because it needs to have 30 inches clearance next to it. So basically I have to move the panel or the hose line.

Question how difficult is it to move?

Could it mess up your air conditioning performance having it moved?

Do you think the air conditioner company would move it for free since they are the ones breaking code?

Any help on any of the questions appreciated!

Old 12-07-08, 10:11 AM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You cannot do anything with the refrigerant lines as you must be EPA certified. Contact the company that installed the unit and tell them about the inspection. They will work with you, although a three year time span is a little long. Why was the inspection not done at the completion of the job.

Old 12-07-08, 11:09 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Never heard of that. Panels need 30 inches in front in my area but not beside. I wonder if he is new and does not know the codes or if that is a code in your area.

Old 12-07-08, 11:36 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if the lines coming out of the foundation and are soft copper on the insulated and raw copper run out you or the company might swing the condenser 180 degees away from the panel if the house .foundation goes down that way.if not they will have to recover the freon...cut the lines...revac...rebraze and so on.if you could swing the condenser/lines in place all you would have to do is diconnect the line voltage and control wires and extnd them to the new location.forget the install company doing it(repipe) for free (maybe the swing)....not going to happen

Old 12-07-08, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Sounds like airman hit it. Maybe if you ask him for the code section "to make sure you get it right when explaining to your contractor" of course, it will turn out no work is required.

Old 12-07-08, 05:31 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Smile a few answers, thanks contuined help!

Why was the inspection not done at the completion of the job.
Our mistake it cost more so we didn't have it inspected then. IT was caught on a completely different project electrical inspection. .
Panels need 30 inches in front in my area but not beside. I wonder
I think I didn't explain this right, you include the panel in the 30 inches, so from one corner of the panel 30 inches over sideways and also they said I needed 36 inches clear space in front in my area. They told me in the electrical forum to sort of think of a refrigerator 30 inches wide 36 deep sitting in front of it.
if he is new and does not know the codes or if that is a code in your area.
I had a different inspector who had passed this on the rough inspection but then he quit a month or so later and for the final I was shocked to see 2 inspectors at my door, a picky supervisor training the eventural replacement of the inspector who quit, he was picky on everything! actually both trying to find any little thing wrong. nightmare!
forget the install company doing it(repipe) for free (maybe the swing)....not going to happen
hmm sounds like the odds are are low and that its somewhat complicated, here is a sort of hard to see picture of the problem area. The hose travels along under the window we have on the right side and then up that metal gutter thing, between my main panel on the left and the sub panel on the right in violation
Sounds like airman hit it. Maybe if you ask him for the code section "to make sure you get it right when explaining to your contractor" of course, it will turn out no work is required
. according to the electric forum they say unfortunately the inspector is right grr. I was just hoping it would not be something real complicated on the air conditioning side of it and the hose could be moved. I Will probaly try the air conditioning company but will expect they will likely not do anything. I guess I could threaten to sue for the costs of moving the sub panel or something since they put it in violation of electrical code but hmm I don't really want to go that route. maybe I also have no case since I didn't get it inspected earlier, oh well Thanks for all the input I have never been to the air conditiong forum, you guys are very helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: