Outside Heat Pump will not run

Old 12-14-08, 08:19 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside Heat Pump will not run

Hello, I have a Trane XE1000 and the outside unit will not start. Neither the fan or compressor starts. I have switched theromstats with identical one from upstairs unit and problem stays with downstairs unit. Indoor air handler works fine. I have also watched the contactor pull in when the unit calls for heat (doesn't start on cool either) but nothing outside starts. High voltage is at the contactor.

Could this be start capacitor or is there a more likely culprit? Unfortunately upstairs unit is also a Trane XE1000 but a smaller unit and capacitor is different size so I can not switch to test. It looks like I could switch the control board and contactor since they seem the same but do not want to unless the experts on this forum think one of them could still be causing problem.

Thanks

Old 12-14-08, 08:53 AM
M
More Info

I also noticed that the fan turns freely when I move it when unit is off. When it attempts to run the fan becomes energized and is hard to move. Just a little more info.

Old 12-14-08, 09:08 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
replace the capacitor would be my suggestion

Old 12-14-08, 02:22 PM
M
Thanks. Do you know if there is only one start capacitor for both the compressor and the fan motor? I have one large one mounted to the side by the boards and contactor which is about 2 inches in diameter and about 5 inches long. It appears to go to both the compressor and the fan motor according to the wiring diagram.

Old 12-15-08, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Typically a residential unit will utilize a dual capacitor just as you described

Old 12-15-08, 06:41 PM
M
Update. Replaced the dual run capacitor today and it solved the problem. I appreciate everyone's help. Happy Holidays.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: