Trane XE1000 Problems - Probably an Easy Question

Old 12-15-08, 06:31 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XE1000 Problems - Probably an Easy Question

My outside unit just hums, no fan, when the AC comes on. I get just warm air and the coils don't seem to be any different than ambient temp. I've read several threads with this same problem and it sounds just like a capacitor and/or contactor problem. I haven't checked for the green light to blink 4 times on the board, but I'll know that in a few minutes.

So before I go shopping for those 2 items (assuming the light blinks) I have a 2 questions:
1) The capacitor looks just fine; does that mean it's ok or should I just replace anyway?
2) Would a bad contactor and/or capacitor also keep me from getting heat? I ask because I don't seem to be able to get heat either.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 12-15-08, 06:40 AM
Y
Update:

I just set the thermostat to cool and turned the temp down then ran outside and the compressor was running and the unit was heating up but no fan. The green light on the board was blinking steady, although I did notice a SLIGHT flicker on once or twice but nothing regular.

Another thing: the fan spins free and I've not heard smelled any burning smells.

Is there any other testing I can do? Any ideas here?

Old 12-15-08, 09:02 AM
Y
One more enlightening update; I just hit AC again and turned it down then went out and got the fan spinning using a pencil. That rules out the contactor and makes it a capacitor problem, correct?

Old 12-15-08, 10:07 AM
S
Good work. Sounds like you need a new capacitor. GIT-R-DUN

Old 12-15-08, 06:28 PM
Y
Capacitor replaced, and all for less $$ then I've paid to fill up the gas tank on the motorcycle!

It was tested and it was bad but was not bloated or deformed at all. I'll find out tomorrow if every thing is back to normal. It's one of those perfect 60-something degree Florida nights so I'm leaving it off for the night.

Old 12-15-08, 06:45 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
a lot of times a bad capacitor will only have a slight rise in the top end of it, look at your old one closely compared side by side with the new one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: