New A/C Unit

Old 12-22-08, 12:13 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New A/C Unit

So here's the deal i live in Tampa Area of Florida, this is my first house, and the current a/c unit is 23 yrs old and it's definatley time for a new one before the summer creeps up. Now i've been getting a couple price quotes and so far the best price i gotten is for two different types of Carrier Units first one is 13 seer 3 ton comfort series split heat pump R410A Puron, and digital thermostat for $4,175, and the second is 13 seer 3 ton base series split heat pump R10A Puron digital thermostat $3,875. Now i'm 22 yrs old and in the military so i'm not experienced in this field at all. Are these units over kill? over priced? reasonable? I have no idea, the house is 1875 sq ft so anyone with knowledge or experience on the topic please share your opinions. Thanks

Old 12-22-08, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Well, neither of these will probably be the recommended SEER rating by the pros...most would say 15 or higher I would guess.

You should prob post model numbers, since the specs seem similar.

That said, yer in the Military (know all about that). Do you plan to keep this house for 5-10 yrs? If you sell in 2, most people will just be looking at "Oh, the unit is only 2 yrs old". Some would like the higher seer rating, I even had folks that asked to see utility bills. Most don't think that way in the excitement of buying a new home.

EDIT...I forgot to mention...Call at least 3 diff companies. Did they do a calculation (Manual J, I think it's called) on what you actually need? Or just look at what you had?

Old 12-22-08, 12:59 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
RE: A/C Unit

Well with the way the market is I don't know if i can afford to sell the house in 2 yrs, but my tour for FL is up in 2010. But i'd like to extend. I dont think anyone did some type of test everyone said 3 ton unit would be perfect? i had 3 companies come out and that was the cheapest price i got. but no model numbers on my quote, sorry. but does that sound like a good deal? I was hoping it be cheaper but i'm a rook in this field. Thanks

Old 12-22-08, 02:44 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If none of the company's did the load on your home I would keep looking. This will take an hour or two. Like said Id go with at least a 15 seer in all areas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: