Replacing stolen condensers

Old 01-08-09, 10:20 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing stolen condensers

Hi. I'm not experienced with HVAC but I am a pretty handy person. I'm purchasing a house which had the condensers ripped apart for the copper. Would I be able to buy just the condensers, hook up the lines and wiring, and charge the system? Or is it more complicated than that? The house is just under 3000 sq ft, two story. The heater unit in the attic is made by Trane so I would think the whole system is a Trane?? Would I need to replace with Trane specific condensers? Lastly, what's a ballpark rough estimate of how much this would cost, both if I do it myself and if I contracted someone?

TIA

Old 01-09-09, 06:57 AM
M
Originally Posted by buckxwild
Hi. I'm not experienced with HVAC but I am a pretty handy person. I'm purchasing a house which had the condensers ripped apart for the copper. Would I be able to buy just the condensers, hook up the lines and wiring, and charge the system? Or is it more complicated than that? The house is just under 3000 sq ft, two story. The heater unit in the attic is made by Trane so I would think the whole system is a Trane?? Would I need to replace with Trane specific condensers? Lastly, what's a ballpark rough estimate of how much this would cost, both if I do it myself and if I contracted someone?

TIA
1st off I would have to say it is way more complicated than just hooking up lines, elec. and a charge. You would have to spend around $1500.00 or more just in tools to do the job correctly. Not to mention the technical background to properly charge the system.

What I would recommend is this; Contact the selling agent or owner and have them file an insurance claim, if this is not an option for the seller, start getting quotes for a replacement, and have the seller deduct this amount from the purchase price or give you that amount back at closing.

How old is the equipment that has not been vandalized or stolen? If it is 10 yrs + I would recommend a full system replacement.

Depending on the area you live you would be looking for around a 3 - 4 ton system (rough estimate) Also depending on were you live would effect the labor cost. I would guess for a Trane system around $5,500.00 - $7,000.00 (rough estimate).

I hope this helps, good luck!

Old 01-09-09, 11:28 AM
B
Originally Posted by Mr Happy
How old is the equipment that has not been vandalized or stolen? If it is 10 yrs + I would recommend a full system replacement.

Depending on the area you live you would be looking for around a 3 - 4 ton system (rough estimate) Also depending on were you live would effect the labor cost. I would guess for a Trane system around $5,500.00 - $7,000.00 (rough estimate).
The house is fairly new, built 2000, so I don't think I need to replace everything. Having insurance fix is not an option, I'm buying the house in "as is" condition. I forgot to mention it has 2 condensers, one for upstairs and one for down. Would it be double that amount for 2 condensers or usually a $2000-3000 on top of that rough estimate?

Old 01-09-09, 11:49 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If units or builder grade they most likely or 10 seer. if that is the case you will need to replace everthing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: