Is this possible?

Old 01-19-09, 05:53 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Is this possible?

Hello all,

I apologize for my first post being somewhat peculiar, but I don't know a better place to ask than this.

I would like to see if it's possible to take a window mounted ac and modify it so that it can efficiently cool specific components on my computer. What I mean by this is that I want to create a Phase Change system.

I know very little about fluid dynamics so I'm not quite sure what direction I should go from here. I do know that because I hold no license in dealing with different gas's I would be forced to use propane as my coolant. This is fine with me. From the basics of what I understand I could get Propane at 8psi to boil at -27C. This is just about cool enough. Optimally I'd like to get to -45C but for starters I'd be more than happy with -27C.

Re-reading this I feel like I'm not typing this correctly, but I can't think of a better way to describe what I would like to do.

My reasoning for doing this are the following.

1.) I would like to overclock ( Increase voltage and timings ) on my processor and in doing so thermal activity goes up. At a certain point I'm limited by the amount of heat generated by the processor. Some people purchase Phase Change systems and run them straight over the processor making sure to insulate anything near by so that condensation does not occur.

2.) If I purchase a Phase Change system with the configuration I'd be looking for I'd most likely spend more than $1,500. Since I have 2 window mount ac's just lying around I figured I could use the guts and modify them to suit my needs. I have access to a great many tools as my fiancée's uncle owns his own truck repair garage.

Is this just plain crazy? I really need some advice and input.

If anyone could just point me in the right direction I'd be eternally grateful.

Thank you in advance,

Keith

Old 01-19-09, 06:05 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Crazy No! But it will not work. The compressors will not pump the LP very long because they are made (and the oil) for the refrigerant they have in them. Even if you could, the compressors will not hold up to the -27 temp.

Old 01-19-09, 06:20 PM
S
What a bummer...

I suppose even if I swapped out compressors this would be a no go huh?

Dang. I was hoping I could go with materials that are readily available and not have to purchase all the components individually.

I appreciate the feedback. Even though I can't do it you did force me to use my brain a bit more on figuring this out. lol That's always a good thing.

Thank you much and have a wonderful evening,

Keith

Old 01-20-09, 06:41 AM
D
How about this?

Using a commercially available water cooled heat exchanger on your processor, run a copper tubing circuit (may have to insulate one line to prevent condensation) and pump to your window a/c.

You would need to come up with (make) a small plate heat exchanger (perhaps an evap coil from an auto a/c) and place it in the air path from the evaporator coil. This way you wouldn't have to break into the refrigeration circuit.

This would be O.K. in the summer with the unit installed in the window, as the room would be cooled and condensation would drain outside.

Your on your own in the winter time.

Delta

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: