Quietest air handler...

Old 01-21-09, 10:14 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Quietest air handler...

I am looking to install centrall A/C with a heater, can anyone tell me what manufacturer makes the quietest indoor air handler?

Old 01-21-09, 11:30 AM
B
Originally Posted by zizanio
I am looking to install centrall A/C with a heater, can anyone tell me what manufacturer makes the quietest indoor air handler?
I dont think you'll find much difference between air handlers. I think most of the noise is going to come from the duct work. As long as everything is properly sized, I don't see sound being discernible among air handlers. Furnaces are a different story.

Old 01-21-09, 11:34 AM
Z
The reason I ask is because I was told it would be OK to install the air handler in the living area. I am also going to enclose it like a closet or in cabinetry.

Is it a good idea to wrap the ductwork with noise insulation?

Originally Posted by badtlc
I dont think you'll find much difference between air handlers. I think most of the noise is going to come from the duct work. As long as everything is properly sized, I don't see sound being discernible among air handlers. Furnaces are a different story.

Old 01-28-09, 09:03 AM
J
I could not disagree more. There are vast differences with regards to noise in various brands and yes, duct work is important, but when you have a unit next to you, or in the attic, noise from the unit is critical.

I too am in the process of looking for a quiet air handler (gas furnace) and some brands publish their dB ratings while others do not.

I have been told that Carrier makes some of the least noisy air handlers.

What I am confused about is whether a variable speed motor air handler is more or less noisy then a standard non-variable speed motor?

Old 01-28-09, 10:18 AM
B
Originally Posted by joe1234
I could not disagree more. There are vast differences with regards to noise in various brands and yes, duct work is important, but when you have a unit next to you, or in the attic, noise from the unit is critical.

I too am in the process of looking for a quiet air handler (gas furnace) and some brands publish their dB ratings while others do not.

I have been told that Carrier makes some of the least noisy air handlers.

What I am confused about is whether a variable speed motor air handler is more or less noisy then a standard non-variable speed motor?
I definitely disagree about air handlers, but I already stated that "furnaces" are a completely different story.

Variable speed blowers should be more quiet than a non-variable blower. That does not hold true of the duct is undersized.

You mentioned dB ratings for furnaces. Those ratings are for furnace noise when the gas chamber is firing. Those don't necessarily reflect the noise from the blower. That is not comparable to air handlers.

I still think that an air handler, not a furnace, as the original poster requested there isn't much discernible difference with all things being equal. There are differences if you start comparing different sized air handlers to one another.

Old 01-28-09, 10:33 AM
J
I definitely disagree about air handlers, but I already stated that "furnaces" are a completely different story.

Variable speed blowers should be more quiet than a non-variable blower. That does not hold true of the duct is undersized.

You mentioned dB ratings for furnaces. Those ratings are for furnace noise when the gas chamber is firing. Those don't necessarily reflect the noise from the blower. That is not comparable to air handlers.

I still think that an air handler, not a furnace, as the original poster requested there isn't much discernible difference with all things being equal. There are differences if you start comparing different sized air handlers to one another.
Thanks for the explanation.

Also, what you said about having the correct duct size for a variable speed blower makes sense as well. If the duct work is underszied, the blower will speed up trying to deliever the correct amount of air cfm and run noiser with the extra push it has do to to compensate. So I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that this is the situation where a variable speed motor blower could be noiser?

Are there any problems if the duct work is oversized for a variable speed motor?

I am currently re-doing our 5-Ton HVAC system, putting a new gas furnance in the attic. The intake grills will be oversized, so that wont be an issue - going with two 350sq grills. What should the ideal static preasure be on the output end? Or does that depend on the air handler specs?

Old 01-28-09, 04:07 PM
B
Thanks for the explanation.

Also, what you said about having the correct duct size for a variable speed blower makes sense as well. If the duct work is underszied, the blower will speed up trying to deliever the correct amount of air cfm and run noiser with the extra push it has do to to compensate. So I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that this is the situation where a variable speed motor blower could be noiser?
yes, that is when a variable speed blower can get really noisy.

Are there any problems if the duct work is oversized for a variable speed motor?
It isn't likely, but it can happen. I think it can happen if total ESP falls below .1". For that to happen you are talking about a situation where someone is running 2 ton or smaller equipment in duct sized for 5tons or bigger.

I am currently re-doing our 5-Ton HVAC system, putting a new gas furnance in the attic. The intake grills will be oversized, so that wont be an issue - going with two 350sq grills. What should the ideal static preasure be on the output end? Or does that depend on the air handler specs?
I think .5" or less static is the ideal. Your manufacturer would have the final say on that.

Old 02-06-09, 11:22 PM
C
A Air Handler or Furnace with a variable Speed ECM motors will be more quiet and more efficient PSC motors. Stating otherwise is not knowing equipment and how it operates.
If the system is sized wrong it's going to be sized wrong for a PSC single speed motor also.

Depending on the manufacture they can write software/hardware to control speeds from static pressure and get information like static pressure from the ECM motor.

Carrier/Bryant Have very good systems because they have top of the line sophisticated electronic control boards in the Infinity/Evolution Series models.
Lennox is known to have quiet systems, So does Trane and Rheem/Ruud.

Old 02-13-09, 05:59 AM
T
Daikin also make nice quiet systems. Not sure how available they are over there but they are number 1 in Australia. Extremely quiet and reliable.

Also be careful to compare dB at same distance from the unit. Some brands measure at 1M (3 foot) away from the unit whilst other manufacturers measure them from 3M (9 foot) away.

air conditioning tips

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: