Proper regulation of wall/window AC units

Old 01-24-09, 05:02 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Proper regulation of wall/window AC units

I have a question about running my air conditioning.

I have a 1 bedroom condo, there are 3 main rooms (bed, living, and kitchen). It is about 800 sqft, windows on both sides, attic above it that I am in the process of adding more insulation. Windows are vinyl replacement about 7 years old, the walls are wood framed with brick veneer and old fiberglass (rockwool?) insulation in them. Wall sheathing is rocklath/cement/plaster.

I have a 12K BTU wall AC unit in the living room and an 8K BTU window unit in the bedroom. The kitchen doesn't have an AC unit. All 3 rooms have ceiling fans.

I live alone, my schedule for running the ac units was pretty simple. I would leave them off during the day, until about 3PM when I'd set the living room AC unit to turn on, I get home from work at about 3:45PM. The living room unit would stay on until I go to bed, then it would be off all night and the next day until 2PM again.

I would turn on the bedroom AC about an hour before I was ready to go to bed, that would stay on all night until morning.

That's my work week schedule, on weekends I would change it by turning on the living room AC unit a little earlier, or maybe first thing in the morning if it were hot/humid enough.

Both units would be set to 72 degrees. My electric bill was up to about $120 which I don't mind too much, but I would hate to throw money out if unecessary.

So my question is simple, am I doing it right? Or should I just put the AC units on all day and night? Am I letting the condo heat up too much during the day (and evening in the bedroom, since that unit is off until at leat 9PM)?

PS, the way I understand it, ceiling fans only help to cool the body off. Is it true that leaving all of them on a low speed when I'm not in the room won't help in any way (circulate the air for example)?

Old 02-15-09, 03:37 PM
V
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bump. I know it's still early for AC, but the curiosity is getting to me.

Old 02-16-09, 02:19 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
General guideline for heat and ac, set it and forget it.

A/C cool in part by cooling the air, but in large part by removing humidity from that air. All you are doing is using all the power in one lump, instead of over the course of the day and subjecting everything in your home to wide temperature and humidity swings.

For 800sq ft, if you can manage it, a small central unit would use FAR less power than your current window a/c setup.

As for the ceiling fans, true, they only make you feel cooler because the air is moving over you and taking the heat that is coming from you and moving it somewhere else. Strictly speaking, ceiling fans actually heat a room do the heat from the motor.

If your window unit is running, it will help some to 'blend' that cool air around, but guess what? You don't live on the ceiling, and cold air sinks. Why strive to cool the air that is 2' (or more) over your head? In the winter however, they can help quite a bit by getting the hot air at the ceiling down to where you are.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: