Capacitor & Freon amount

Old 02-16-09, 05:46 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Capacitor & Freon amount

How do I tell if my Capacitor is Bad ? I was told if it bows out of the top or bottum of the capacitor "its bad and needs replacing", which it is. And if I need to replace it what exactly do I need off off it Model # etc.... Also I had Sears tech come out and tell me I had no freon in the compressor and I needed 12 pounds of freon R-22. He checked for about 2 hours and could not find any leak. He said he would charge around 350.00 just for the freon. He said I could probably find it cheaper. And ofcourse ill call around for a License tech..So my 2 questions are...

1. What do I need off the capacitor to make sure I get the same one ?

2. How can you tell how much freon the system holds its says the charge is 103 ? I just dont want to get over charged..Thanks

Last edited by Sportieeeee; 02-16-09 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-17-09, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First of all, if your system is completly flat the tech should be able to find the leak. The cap could be swollan or blown out - the only way to know for sure if its bad would be to chk it with a meter that reads uF. You should be able to see the ratings on the cap when you take it out. As far as the charge goes, does 103 mean 103 oz ? look closer - that would be 6.5 lbs roughly. No way to tell without M# & S# of unit.

Old 02-20-09, 05:00 PM
How do you get from bad cap to no gas?

103 oz is a charge for the indoor and matched outdoor unit with either 15 or 25 feet of lineset.

Last edited by Jarredsdad; 02-21-09 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-21-09, 05:17 AM
So basically you're saying the Sears guy charged $350 just to look for a leak for 2 hrs? He didn't fix anything?
I can do that job!Beer 4U2

Old 02-21-09, 05:32 AM
S
you can match the capacitor at your local Grainger Industrial Supply the MFD and voltage stamped on the old one is the info you need.

the freon situation with no leak found.

if it was running then flat all at once a line is leaking or somebody clipped your freon.

Question....was the system running normally and started not to cool down as fast?

the tech did he use nitrogen,and pump the system up to check for leaks?

it is unlawful to use new freon to check for leaks and the exsisting charge left over isn't high enough (pressure wise) to check.

if they comee back they need to find the leak with nitro up to at least 300PSI for R-22 then a good solid vacuum down to a minimum of 500 microns or less and held for 4 hours.

if they refuse to do a micron test get them off the unit and call a actual service company that performs nitro/vac tests.

if another company comes in and does a vac test right off the get go and it pulls 500 Microns somebody let the gas out of your system $$$$$$$$$

if he installed new freon in a leaking system what was that vac reading.

call the service manager and start asking questions....

how do you recharge a system if no leak was found and no pressure test was done?

if he says he pulled a vac. then you ask .what was the MICRON reading on the system,and listen for the reply!

Last edited by Jarredsdad; 02-21-09 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Make a great post easier to read.
Old 02-21-09, 09:22 AM
sminker right on with cap replacement. Might also check a local HVAC supply store. Grainger is expensive.

You must match Mfd and volt ratings of old cap. But, if yours is 370 volt rating you can install a 440 volt. That is the only fudge factor allowed.

Also agree with pressure test and vac. Don't agree with 4 hours. Trane for instance specs 300 for 30 minutes (not exact here but close).

If freon was removed by vandals and system is proved to be leak free (Many leaks are sealed when tech attaches gauges) have tamper proof caps installed.

Old 02-21-09, 10:29 AM
S
thats my commercial brain mind set when i have to install 1000LBS of freon on large office buildings.if the system doesn't have a leak it will drop like a rock into the 500 micron range within an hour.anything below 5000 is just moisture and or freon boil off from the refrigeration oil in the compressor sump.if the system is atmospheric(no pressure)make sure the liquid line dryer gets changed.

Old 02-21-09, 11:13 AM
I understand.

I remember a Mech Company wanted me to write the city of hampton VA blessing thier install of equipment bought from us.

1st question was "How many microns did you vac to?".

"Well we vaccumed for 20 minutes".

"Really! So how many microns is 20 minutes?".

Needless to say, I did not write a letter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: