Window A/Cs left out in the cold

Old 03-04-09, 10:18 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window A/Cs left out in the cold

Two years ago we had central A/C put in, and at that time I removed the window units and put them in my detached (and unheated) garage. I'm looking to sell both of them now - 18K BTU and 10K BTU. They worked fine when I removed them, but is there any chance they won't function properly now that they've been basically outside through two cold winters? I don't want to be dishonest in my sale, and the 18K one is too heavy to bring back in the house & test.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks,
towacodaddy

Old 03-04-09, 04:39 PM
The cold does not hurt the A/C, Just don't try to run it till it has warmed up above 60˚.

Old 03-06-09, 09:33 AM
S
as long as they were left flat on the bases the cold shouldn't effect either one just being stored.take the bigger one and put it out in the sun when the weather changes and let it warm up.

Old 03-06-09, 04:13 PM
The cold wouldn't affect them in storage. Just make sure it's warm out if you start them. Hopefully they were stored in a dry place, and the bottom pan isn't rusted or have holes (drain pan water leaks). You might take them out of the sleeve or take the outer cover off to check for mouse nests.
New filter material would help the sale, too.
Tom Beer 4U2

Old 03-09-09, 11:18 AM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I agree with the other posts, but I want to add this: If the units have been tipped or stored sideways or upside down, be sure they sit upright for 24 hours before using, so the oil can return to the compressor.
Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: