2 stage A/C

Old 03-18-09, 04:42 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 stage A/C

I have a question. Can you tell a difference in a two stage a/c by how much air is coming out?

Is first stage fan speed different from the second stage? I have a Goodman GPG15.

the installer is telling me that it is all the same, I just don't know if that is right.

Old 03-18-09, 05:03 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
He is wrong!! 1st stage should be at a slower speed. Like I have said before non name brand equipment comes with non experience installs and company's. Pay me know or pay me later. or pay me know or pay the electric company.

Old 03-18-09, 06:48 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
two stage air condition does not mean two stage furnace, air blowing out of your furnace would be what usually is high speed for ac. If you have a variable speed blower in your furnace than you should see different speeds. So in other words two stage ac unit has nothing to do with your furnace. And there is nothing wrong with Goodman brand. Good warranty, affordable and easy to get parts for.

Old 03-18-09, 07:12 PM
Yes, if you have a two stage A/C matching with a variable speed blower you will notice a change in the blower speed.

Blower will run at a lower speed in 1st stage, and higher in 2nd stage.

Old 03-18-09, 07:23 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am sorry not to create an argument but I believe original question was do you notice a difference in air coming out of vents. Blower motor is in your furnace not condenser unit. So it does not mater what air conditioning unit you have sinlge stage or two stage to feel difference in your vents depending on what furnace you have.

Old 03-18-09, 07:31 PM
I looked up the model # and it's a two stage gas and cooling packaged unit.

4 speed is used for this X-13 blower motor.

-speed for 1st stage cooling.
-speed for 2nd stage cooling.
-speed for 1st stage heating.
-speed for 2nd stage heating.

So hope the installer installed a two stage t-stat with this equipment?

Old 03-18-09, 10:04 PM
B
He installed a two stage thermostat; it is a Braeburn 5300. The installer has an electrican that deals with that end, but the electrician thinks he knows everything.

The stat is saying it is in first stage cooling (Braeburn told me what the different stages look like on the stat), but he doesn't think that's right. He thinks the thermostat can't show that.

I'm going to give them two days to figure it out, then I'm calling another vendor. I have the 10 years parts and labor on the A/C. I think he might have a wire crossed (y1 and y2), but he said, "I wired that right." It is a roof package unit, and they don't like climbing the roof, so their not willing to climb...

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Old 03-19-09, 05:48 AM
You can take a look to see if the t-stat is wired up right.

There should be a wire on W1, W2, Y1, Y2., that same colored wire be on the same letter at the unit on the roof.

When you switch the fan switch on the t-stat to "ON", does it run slower than the A/C? (Turn system switch to off on t-stat)

Old 03-19-09, 06:49 AM
B
There is no W2 wire connected on the thermostat. I don't live where it gets cold, and the heat worked fine this winter. But they should have that wired; however with 125 degree summers, I'm more concerned about the A/C. They have the Y1 (Yellow) and Y2 (Blue), but I'm not sure what it is on the UNIT. (Would that void the warranty if I take a peek?)

As far as the fan, when I turn it on it is running slower when the A/C is not kicking on. When the A/C kicks into stage 1, the fan stops blowing and nothing comes out, until it kicks into stage 2. But as long as it is in Stage 1, the fan does not blow.

Old 03-19-09, 08:25 AM
No, it won't void the warranty if you take a peek.

Sounds like Y1 (first stage) is not wired up at the unit.

I'd make sure W2 is wired up (If there extra wires) that way you got the extra heat if needed.. You paid good money for this.

Old 03-19-09, 08:29 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
An HVAC installer that needs an electrician to do the low voltage wiring? Your in trouble, sorry.

Old 03-19-09, 09:34 AM
B
Unfortunately, there are no extra wires. It is an older house, that had a single stage A/C originally. I'm going to climb up on the roof and take a peak at the wires when I get home from work.

As for choosing this installer, he was about $1000 less than the nearest competitor. Now I know why he charged less. They are nice guys, but that is not an excuse for incompetence.

Old 03-19-09, 12:49 PM
Do you know if a new set of wire can be fished up to the unit? Most good electrician are able to fish wires in tight spots.

Otherwise, there is the Honeywell IAQ t-stat that only uses 3 wires between the t-stat and equpment.

Dun.

there are some area that code don't allow HVAC company to hook up low voltage.. My parents's area the electrician had to put in the t-stat.. I told them to get the basic cheap one, and I came around and swapped it out with the Honeywell VisionPro a few weeks after inspection and closing on the house.

Old 03-19-09, 04:58 PM
B
Ok, I went on the roof and took a peak at the wires.

On the unit on the roof, it is.

R- Red
W1 - White
G - Green
Y1 - Yellow
Y2 - Blue

(The blue and green are murder for people that are color blind)

On the thermostat the wiring is.

R- Red
W1 - White
G- Green
Y1 - Blue
Y2- Yellow

What would some suggestions? Should I wait for the idiot to figure it out? I don't want to void my warranty. Can I switch out the wires on the stat????

I just don't know. If this were a guitar amp, I'd be wiring it up. But the A/C is something I don't know...

Old 03-19-09, 06:37 PM
Yeah, switch the blue and yellow wires around on the t-stat.

It won't void anything, and you don't have to worry about doing the phone tag getting someone out there to fix something so simple.

Old 03-20-09, 09:45 PM
B
Talking

I wanted to thank you Jay. I switched the wires, it works like a charm. And the installer was full of $%^ when he said we wouldn't notice between first and second stage. My wife noticed immediately that the blower wasn't putting out as much air.

I want to tell the installer so bad, how he did screw up the wiring, but I'll try to be humble about it.

Thank you again.

Old 03-21-09, 05:15 AM
Glad to help out and saved yourself a hassle getting out there to switch the wire around.

On the board, there is a jumper that I did not mention toyou about.. I am guessing this wire is left in the "non" vs time.5 or 10.

What this does is if you only had a single stage t-stat, it should but set into 5 or 10 min, and after that x amount of time, the system will go into 2nd stage.

If you do notice that the A/C is going into 2nd stage and know for a fact that t-stat has not called for this, then we need to go up and look at this jumper.

Old 03-21-09, 08:13 AM
B
I did see that jumper when I was on the roof taking a peek at the wires. It is set on none.

I'm probably going to get another company to fish a wire from the stat to the unit when it starts getting cooler again, for the 2nd stage of the heater.

Another question: What should I set the second stage differential for on the Stat. It is default at 2 degrees, but I changed it to 1 degree. I live in the desert where it it above 100 for 5 months, and get up into the 120's.

Last edited by bmcsphillips; 03-21-09 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-21-09, 03:49 PM
Yeah, 1˚ is fine..

If you did 2˚, you may start feeling a bit warmer since 2˚ is pretty large temp spread.

I like the Honeywell's VisionPro t-stat, they don't do the swing, they put stages on based on load on the equipment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: