York A/C Compressor Not Working

Old 03-21-09, 05:02 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
York A/C Compressor Not Working

Looking for comments as not sure what to do.

A/C fan outside on my York unit was working and air is circulating in the house, but now blowing cold. Had a tech out and he says that compressor was not working. Advised that they could try and boost it but that it may only last another year or so. Quoted about $500 to remove and replace it with another one from York (currently under warranty). They would remove it, take it to York and pickup another one and then install and recharge it with freon. The entire A/C units are only about 3-years old. Does the price sound right for the repair job?

Thanks! Beer 4U2

Old 03-21-09, 07:23 PM
C
If it is really a compressor failure.. that is cheap for the Atlanta area.. not sure about Texas

Old 03-22-09, 07:39 AM
The Tech. is talking about a "Super Boost, or Hot Start" capacitor and relay kit, to start a tight compressor. Shouldn't need to do that with a 3 yr. old unit.
I'd go for the warantee replacement, which, by the way, you shouldn't have to pay for. Except for the original service call charge, the factory should cover all parts, materials, and labor. (I assume a 5 yr. compressor warantee?)
TomBeer 4U2

Old 03-22-09, 09:37 AM
T
$500.00 is a great deal! With my lowest earning wage technician doing a compressor change-out under warranty I would be at about $900.00. Very good deal. Did the tech. say why the compressor was failing...it could be in need of a hard start kit depending on how the system is routed. Honestly I would have the technician take a look at the windings and see if you are off. Any good tech. would have done this and been able to refer to a guide to state either the compressor is failing or not. I try to avoid compressor change-outs all together and in this case it may save you money. Have him check the winding and your contactor line in voltage and your line out voltage. You would be surprised at how a tech would go about diagnosing a system... feel free to email me if you should have any questions or even any concerns.

Old 03-23-09, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I also agree, that is CHEAP. Are they a reputable company ?

Old 03-23-09, 06:55 PM
C
Originally Posted by HVAC Mech.
I'd go for the warantee replacement, which, by the way, you shouldn't have to pay for. Except for the original service call charge, the factory should cover all parts, materials, and labor. (I assume a 5 yr. compressor warantee?)
TomBeer 4U2
I dont know what factory you deal with but I know of NONE that give a labor warranty standard.... Normally the Labor warranty is provided for one year by the company that installed the equipment, Unless a special warranty has been purchased the compressor will be covered but not the labor or refrigerent or any other materials.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: