Residential AC Recommendation that can filter/stop external smoke

Old 03-24-09, 02:26 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Residential AC Recommendation that can filter/stop external smoke

Hi,

I am looking for a good AC, my current 6000 BTU portable AC does not cut it. I am also living in an apartment were I am directly above the door were people smoke.

What would you recommend that can either filter the smoke (ex: electrostatic filter) or ability to simple curcilate the air inside without taking outside air?

I have been looking at the Haier Energy Star® Window Air Conditioner for example the ESA3125 (both does filter and can close outside vent), but they aren’t sold in Canada and they seem to have a reputation to be faulty.

Any recommendations?

Chris.

Old 03-24-09, 04:38 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Chris, you will not be able to remove the smoke smell with a portable ac filter. You will have to have a filter impregnated with charcoal. Charcoal filters in a one inch size will only remove odors for a few days before the charcoal is used up. I wold look at installing the unit in a different location to bring in air to put your home in a positive pressure to keep the smoke out.

Old 03-24-09, 07:19 PM
S
I am looking at getting a window unit. The ESA3125 does exactly what I need, but its not sold in Canada (and has a bad rep of not working). Its filter is an electrostatic filter, in addition you can close the vent so the AC only circulates the air inside the room.

Old 03-25-09, 05:30 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Electrostatic will do nothing for smoke.

Old 03-27-09, 02:33 AM
S
do you have any specific model suggestions?

And like I said, even if I can simple circulate the air inside, that would be a good compromise. How standard of a feature is that?

Right now I am thinking of the "Whirlpool ACQ108PV 10,000 BTU Energy Star® Air Conditioner" its sold in Canada at canadiantire. Maybe ill go to the store and see if I can take a closer look and maybe see the manual...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: