Attic room still red hot

Old 03-28-09, 04:59 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attic room still red hot

I've recently converted the attic in our Florida home into an extra room. The room dimensions are 13ft x 17ft with a peaked ceiling.

I've tapped off the main home air conditioning using a single 7" flexible piping. The room is really hot and it's not even summer time yet.

I know the thermostat is downstairs which is always cool. There is a single vented window that is always open at one end of the room.

How do I get the room cooler? Do I need to seal off the window so there is no ventilation apart from the attic stair well? Do I add another vent? Or move the thermostat into the attic? Or something else?

Any help would be most appreciated as I don't really know what I'm doing.

Old 03-28-09, 05:08 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Solar heat gain in an attic space can be huge. What did you install for insulation and ventillation.

Bud

Old 03-28-09, 05:20 PM
Y
I put polystyrene panels in the eaves and the only ventilation up there is a louvred window that is always open although it is covered with a dart board cabinet and the hole in the floor where the stairs are.

Old 03-28-09, 06:42 PM
B
Here's a link that will talk about attic insulation. Although targeted for cold country, essentially the same principles apply for warm country.

Welcome To Home Energy Magazine Online

Bud

Old 03-28-09, 07:25 PM
Y
Thanks Bud.

Oops maybe I should have read that before the drywall went up and the finishing was done. There was already a floor down up there so that didn't get any extra insulation but under the eaves around the edges of the floor did get extra insulation. But as for sealing the floor and kneewall I guess it's a bit late for that

Old 03-28-09, 07:44 PM
B
Being in Orlando, trying to cool that area without proper insulation will be literally throwing your money out the window. Not to mention it may still be too hot to use the space.

Do you have any soffit venting or ridge vents to get rid of some of that heat. If not, the ceiling area is going to cook. As you said, it is already getting hot and this is still the cool season.

Bud

P.S. I'm avoiding telling you to start over, I'll let you come to that conclusion

Last edited by Bud9051; 03-28-09 at 07:46 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-28-09, 09:32 PM
M
Stop

Originally Posted by YORKSHIREpuddin
I've recently converted the attic in our Florida home into an extra room. The room dimensions are 13ft x 17ft with a peaked ceiling.

I've tapped off the main home air conditioning using a single 7" flexible piping. The room is really hot and it's not even summer time yet.

I know the thermostat is downstairs which is always cool. There is a single vented window that is always open at one end of the room.

How do I get the room cooler? Do I need to seal off the window so there is no ventilation apart from the attic stair well? Do I add another vent? Or move the thermostat into the attic? Or something else?

Any help would be most appreciated as I don't really know what I'm doing.
Every time I see customers do this they always end up calling me with the same issues you have raised and I always tell them the same thing.
Your house was designed with a home comfort system designed to cool a certain amount of space and most home builders undersize. You just added load to that calculation and the math does not add up. Even if I could tell you something that would cool down your new room you would be letting yourself in for equipment failure and high utility bills.
The only solution for this situation is to add cooling, typically we install a mini split or thru the wall PTAC unit in this situation and this solves the problem quite satisfactorily. Anything else is just going to generate a call back.

Old 03-29-09, 06:22 AM
Y
There is no venting in the roof. I think that would help a lot plus adding the mini split as suggested by mike.

Old 03-29-09, 06:35 AM
Y
I've been looking into the mini split idea. Is there a limit to how far the outside unit is from the air handler?

Old 03-29-09, 05:26 PM
M
Mini Split

Unless you are living in the Taj Mahal distance should not be a problem. There have been many advances in the last couple of years to make these systems adaptable to almost any situation.

Old 03-30-09, 03:19 PM
Y
As I already have cold air blowing in from the current home air conditioning system would simply fitting a extractor fan to remove the hot air work? Or would fitting the mini split be the best solution?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: