What are my HAVC options here?

Old 03-29-09, 10:42 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What are my HAVC options here?

Guys,

I have a 16 yrs old ac/furnace. The ac is 3Ton 8 SEERS, not sure about the furnace. However the furnace makes alot of noise. I decided to replace everything. A guy Trane guy I know for 6 yrs quoted me $4,000 on an American standard system 100K upflow 80 AFUE on the furnace and a 3 Ton JXV on the AC. He said not to go with Trane but its more expensive and it the same as American Standard.
I then called up Home Depot and thier guy quoted me XL15i 3 Ton 15 Seers AC and XV80 80K BTU 2 stage vaiable speed DC motor on the furnace for $6679 or I can go with a 95% furnace XV95 for $8112 where I would get back a tax credit of $1500 - final cost $6612. I have 2 stories + finished basement and my wife complains that the basement is always colder than the rest of the house in winter. The HD guy said that the latter system will elimnate the problem. Any advice? I want the best system that is adequate for me home. My house is 180sft

Old 03-29-09, 05:42 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyPee24
Guys,

I have a 16 yrs old ac/furnace. The ac is 3Ton 8 SEERS, not sure about the furnace. However the furnace makes alot of noise. I decided to replace everything. A guy Trane guy I know for 6 yrs quoted me $4,000 on an American standard system 100K upflow 80 AFUE on the furnace and a 3 Ton JXV on the AC. He said not to go with Trane but its more expensive and it the same as American Standard.
I then called up Home Depot and thier guy quoted me XL15i 3 Ton 15 Seers AC and XV80 80K BTU 2 stage vaiable speed DC motor on the furnace for $6679 or I can go with a 95% furnace XV95 for $8112 where I would get back a tax credit of $1500 - final cost $6612. I have 2 stories + finished basement and my wife complains that the basement is always colder than the rest of the house in winter. The HD guy said that the latter system will elimnate the problem. Any advice? I want the best system that is adequate for me home. My house is 180sft
The basement being colder in the winter is not going to be remedied by new equipment ; you need more airflow/more ducts (heating) for the basement and balancing dampers need to be installed for your entire duct system if they do not exist. As for Trane, after 32 years in the Trade as a Serviceman, I personally feel Trane is exhorbitantly priced and no better than other competing popular brands. I would encourage you to obtain numerous proposals from Contractors on the equipment and have them address your basement problem specifically . Regards.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: