New a/c unit, one room upstairs 98 degrees when other rooms freezing

Old 04-05-09, 12:04 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New a/c unit, one room upstairs 98 degrees when other rooms freezing

New Tran A/C installed. One bedroom upstairs gets very little cool air. Said ducting was probably compromised and needed access panel cut in ceiling. Had that done. Said ducting to room is located near bottom of box and gets least amount of air. Other 3 areas up stairs get plenty of air, as ducting is near top of box. A/C unit is upstairs and within 3 feet of all rooms upstairs. Said cannot exchange ducting as other rooms have different size ducting. No room on box to move this ducting to higher location. Suggestions, put additional smaller duct near the top of box and direct to room so room will have 2 vents. Tested air flow at 180 and when door shut it dropped to 100; second suggestion is to put an intake vent in room. I am at a loss; this room was never this hot before they changed the A/C. Now they want to charge me for a problem that did not exist before they installed new a/c. Final note, room is still unbearable when door is open.

Old 04-05-09, 06:16 PM
Are they talking about a "distribution box"? Or is there a main trunk line with flexible duct from it to the diffusers?
It sounds as if a return in that room would help, unless you keep the door open all the time.
Is this room on the South side of the bldg?
We need more info, for instance is this a split system, zoned, etc.......
Tom Beer 4U2

Old 04-05-09, 11:44 PM
N
It is not a split system. One A/C unit, one thermostat. When he was referring to the box, he was talking about the box on top of the unit, where all the ducting connects to. He mentioned 2 very large ducts coming off the box that then connect to smaller ducting--those 2 large ducts cool the first floor. No the room is on the cooler side of the house, only gets sun in the morning. When we leave the door open, we put a fan in the doorway to help get cool air into the room. Still unbearably hot in there. All I know for certain is you can barely feel air coming from the vent. The other rooms upstairs are freezing; I'm talking you need to have a blanket. Course I put the thermostat to 65 so we can at least use that room--it is probably around 80 in that room.

Old 04-06-09, 02:13 PM
The only thing I can say is that it sounds like a balancing and duct sizing issue. Which should have been planned for and taken care of by the contractor.
It is/was a contracted job, wasn't it? Hmmmm?
Tom Beer 4U2

Old 04-07-09, 05:16 AM
N
yes, it was done by a company that specializes in installing Tran

Old 04-08-09, 04:59 PM
Around here, the home owner usually pays the contractor by thirds, with a construction loan, or a credit card.
I hope you are holding final payment until everything's working correctly.
By the way, I believe the brand name is Trane, not Tran. Right?
Tom Beer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: