Mold/Mildew Treatment

Old 04-06-09, 05:50 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mold/Mildew Treatment

What is the proper method of treating a a/c system with a mildewcide. How do you introduce it into the duct system?

Old 04-06-09, 07:40 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
There are only a handful of chemicals that or EPA approved for use inside of HVAC systems. We use Foster 40-80. AHU can be sprayed with a pump up sprayer. Duct we use and airless sprayer with a cart system. Of course both should be clean before spraying.

Old 04-07-09, 04:19 PM
R
I was told that Microban was a good chemical for spraying into the a/c and duct work. I can only assume that it is sprayed into the air intake while the system is running and it will distribute itself thru the ductwork. Does this sound right or is there more to it?

Old 04-07-09, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Roymore
I was told that Microban was a good chemical for spraying into the a/c and duct work. I can only assume that it is sprayed into the air intake while the system is running and it will distribute itself thru the ductwork. Does this sound right or is there more to it?
Microban is a very popular product that has a lot of name recognition. It has been widely marketed. We don't use there products because of the problems they have had in the past. I think they have it worked out now but we found a product we like so we stick with it. As far as how it is applied. the unit should be off. AHU should be sprayed and then all of the duct work. Unit should be off for twenty minutes then turned on for chemical to dry. We use airless sprayer with a cart system. Fogging it in is widely used in the industry. We have found that we don't get the coverage that is needed with a fogger.

Old 04-08-09, 04:59 AM
Let me add that Microban only has one product that is EPA approved for use inside of an HVAC system.

Old 04-08-09, 05:24 AM
R
Airman
Thanks for the reply. I am still a little confused on how you get the inside of the duct/vent hoses coated without spraying it in as the system is running. I guess I could spray the duct outlets with the grills off and also the a/c coils etc with a pump up hand garden type sprayer, but that wouldn't get the inside of the large vent hoses coated. Maybe I'm missing something or they don't need to be done,however I also think there could be problems in the vent hoses if they weren't also coated.

A fogger I guess would work ok but I don't have one. Is there any parts that should not be sprayed. I assume this will not hurt the fan motors if you suck it thru the system.

I don't want to do this wrong or ruin anything.

Thanks again for your advice.

Old 04-08-09, 03:28 PM
Again the system needs to be clean before you spray chemicals into the duct. Also you said all the duct needed to be coated! Microban is not a coating. If you needed to coat the duct I would recommend Foster 40-20. The system should be off. A cart system will run up the duct work and spray the chemicals. You do not won't to spray the motor!

Old 04-08-09, 03:38 PM
R
Airman
I did some more research on the subject and found what the cart does. Looks like a good sytem if your in the business. I am not and only want to treat my home and my sons mobile home. I will try to find some type of low cost fogger to get the job done. As far as saying I wanted to coat the ducts was a poor choice of words, I only want to treat it to prevent any problems.

Old 04-08-09, 04:34 PM
If you don't have any mold issues now I would not use any chemical.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: