what unit to get?

Old 04-14-09, 10:04 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
what unit to get?

Ok my AC unit was installed back in 1994 I have lived in the house since 1997. The unit is a 2.5 ton house is about 1500sft with high ceilings. My unit has had no major issues. I mean I have spent money on cleaning the coils, has small leak so gets freeon oce every 3 years or so. Last time was 2 years ago in the summer.

I have a R22 system

what brand should I try to buy? Stay away from what brands? Should I do the new freeon R-410 or stay with old R22? What about seer go with 13,14 or 15 seer? Also should I go with more tonage 3 ton or 3.5 ton. What about UV light or purifier? Variable speed or not?

I live in florida and my electric bill in summer is about 180-200 depending on how hot it is that month.

Old 04-14-09, 12:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As I have said before, the installing contractor is more important then then the brand of equip. A good contractor will do a load calc to properly size the equipment, its the only sure way to know its sized right.

I would go with R-410a, 15 SEER or better and V/S. If this is straight air and not a H/P (heat pump) you will need to get to 16 SEER for the fed tax credit. But again, a good contractor will explain all that and options to you.

Do you have allergies or asthsma ? If so I would look at an electronic air cleaner, not a big fan of U/V lights.

Don't get hung up on brands, your not buying a brand, your buying an installation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: