Condenser Question

Old 04-22-09, 05:12 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Condenser Question

I just purchased a 5 year old home, as i was checking everything out i noticed the outside condenser unit had a spot on the corner about 8" in diameter that the copper coils were exposed (meaning the prickly fins were gone) i asked the previous owner and they said there dog would urinate on that spot quit often. Unit works fine. Is there anything i can do for this maybe spray something on it to neutralize it, don't know if its still erroding away, just want to stop it from getting worse.
Thanks (hope i'm making sense)

Old 04-23-09, 05:13 PM
K
Rain or a hoseing [do not use a hard spray] should rinse it off.However vinegar will neutralize it.

Old 04-24-09, 05:03 AM
N
kilowatt thanks for the response, i plan on hoseing it down this weekend i'll try some vinegar just to be safe, the dogs are gone. Do i have any concerns with this small area of exposed copper coils?

Old 04-25-09, 05:28 PM
Not only do you lose the higher heat transfer ability of the fins as opposed to the bare copper tubing, air will take a shortcut through the opening instead of going through the remaining fins.
I would block the opening with a piece of sheet metal and aluminum tape.
But you'll have to keep the remaining fins REALLY clean to avoid tripping on high head or compressor overload when it gets over 90+ degrees.
Tom Beer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: