Much delayed start of compressor and fan

Old 04-22-09, 05:01 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

With the thermostat calling for cooling at the start of the day, the compressor and condenser fan of my Rheem central air unit do not start to run until about 2:00PM when the outdoor unit is partially under the sun. When the thermostat opens and then calls for cooling again, the contactor would pull in but the compressor and fan would not kick in until about 20 to 30 minutes later. Does anyone have any idea where the problem is?

Old 04-23-09, 03:09 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you have a voltmeter to verify that even though contactor closes, that voltage is going through it to those 2 components?

Old 04-25-09, 05:42 PM
It could be a dozen different things, or combined faults. A few I would check: Supply voltage withing 10% of name plate, condition of contactor points, maybe marginal compressor capacitor, compressor on it's way out - mechanically. Bad time delay or board too if that's where it's mounted. Bad programmable Tstat.
This type of job would entail sifting through the possibilities logically and knowing what should be, when operating normally.
Tom Beer 4U2

Old 05-05-09, 11:54 AM
J

Thank you for your replies. I did as you two suggested. With the thermostat calling for cooling, voltage input to the DELAY ON BREAK TIMER IS 24 VOLTS. However across the output terminals leading to the 24V coil of the contactor, voltage is zero. I took the measurement about 2 minutes after switching the thermostat to cool. The delay timer is EAC-426/4-030 which according to the literature is a 30-second delay. Do you agree that the problem lies in a defective Delay Timer?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: