Carrier Compact Air Conditioner not blowing cold air

Old 04-22-09, 08:41 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier Compact Air Conditioner not blowing cold air

Hi

I bought a new house with new AC in Jan 2008. The AC worked 2008 summer, but its not working this summer. Unfortunately, the fit and finish warranty is over, and I am on my own

The Carrier AC Model is 38HDR.

I checked the AC compression unit outside home, and its working (fan is running), but inside home only the normal temperature air is coming out of all ventilators. Its like as if only fan is working. I have decreased the temperature to 70 degrees and less, but no use.

I have checked the filter inside home, which I have not replaced since Jan 2008, but it looks fine (even running AC without filter made no difference). I have looked at the furnace in the attic, and its working (which makes sense because I see air coming out of grille/ventilator inside home)

What should more I look at?

Please advise

Thanks

Old 04-23-09, 12:04 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
the outside unit fan is running correct. is the compressor running. it will sound like a air compressor if it is. if it sounds just like a box fan then the compressor is not running.

Old 04-23-09, 01:01 AM
F
Originally Posted by flirty1
the outside unit fan is running correct. is the compressor running. it will sound like a air compressor if it is. if it sounds just like a box fan then the compressor is not running.

Hmm....so u r saying compressor might not be running. I am afraid I dont know how to distinguish b/w compressor sound and fan sound. Any other way to check if compressor is running? Any switch?

Old 04-23-09, 04:38 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
well is the air coming out of the outside unit hot and most or just ambient temperature. another way is is the small copper line cold and wet and the big copper line hot. they will be the lines coming out of the outside unit. one will be wrapped in foam.

Old 04-23-09, 11:50 AM
F
Originally Posted by flirty1
well is the air coming out of the outside unit hot and most or just ambient temperature. another way is is the small copper line cold and wet and the big copper line hot. they will be the lines coming out of the outside unit. one will be wrapped in foam.

Hmm....OK, I checked it. The smaller copper line is cold but not very cold. The big copper line (insulated one) is not hot. The fan air is not that hot either.

From the noise, it does seem like two noises. One of fan, and one of a hissing sound of some machine, which I assume is compressor

whats the diagnosis now?

Does it look like refrigerant is all lost/leaked?
Thanks

Old 04-23-09, 05:03 PM
K
Correction..the small line should be hot,large line cold.Is the air blowing out the top of outside unit hot?it should be.What is the air temp in the house and what is the air temp out of the register?

Old 04-24-09, 01:42 AM
F
Originally Posted by kilowatt
Correction..the small line should be hot,large line cold.Is the air blowing out the top of outside unit hot?it should be.What is the air temp in the house and what is the air temp out of the register?

Hmm...either way, I didn't find the small line hot.

I checked it in the morning (in northern California), which was cold. I will check again on Sat afternoon.

thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: