Bad Coils in a 7 year old Amana Cooling Unit

Old 04-26-09, 06:08 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad Coils in a 7 year old Amana Cooling Unit

Hey All,

At the end of the fall last year, the air conditioner was not blowing hot air. We called in a Heating and Cooling company who charged us 150$ to do a freon leak check and they confirmed that the coils are bad or potentially leaking.

They suggested that we could change the coils only or get a new Amana unit outside.

Is there a way to check to see if there is a freon leak?

Also, Do companies usually charge to check to see if there is a Freon leak on the coils?

Does anyone recommend we just change the coils in the Amana or do we replace the entire unit if in fact it is bad?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-26-09, 06:48 PM
I assume you have a heat pump. Are you by salt water? That will corrode the outside coils quickly.
Otherwise just call for service and if the charge is low, a leak check is SOP. A leak can either be located at a joint and repaired, or if the coil is porous, with a 7 yo unit, I would get a new condensing unit. Possibly with a corrosion resistant coating on the fins and tubing. There might be sort of anode technology to prevent electrolytic action, I don't know.
Maybe a water source or geothermal heat pump would be more appropriate for your area...
Tom Beer 4U2

Old 04-26-09, 06:52 PM
G
Thanks for the quick response.

I dug up the paperwork on the unit.

It's an Amana RCB42B2A. It was installed in 2001. How long should this unit last?

We are based in NJ, and there is no salt water near by.

What kind of unit would you recommend? I was looking at the Amana ASX18 or ASX16. About how much should we be paying for a condensing unit?

Thanks

Old 04-26-09, 09:48 PM
T
I don't understand the term "potentially leaking". Either they found the leak or they are just guessing. Sounds like the later.

Old 04-27-09, 06:01 AM
G
Yes, we believe it is leaking Freon and the coils are bad.

How long should a condensing unit last?

Old 04-27-09, 09:44 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are we talking about the indoor coil or the outdoor coil ? If the unit is 7 years old the coil may be under warranty.

Old 04-27-09, 09:54 AM
G
It's an outdoor unit, and it's not under warranty.. But normally how long should an outdoor condensing unit last?

Old 04-27-09, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
12 to 15 yr typically, did they say where the leak in the coil was ?

Old 04-27-09, 10:05 AM
G
No, They didn't say anything.. But they said the coil is bad and needs to be replaced. I just don't want to get taken by them. I am going to call around for a few estimates as well, but I don't think people are willing to come over for free and check for a leak

Old 04-28-09, 03:03 PM
Usually the return bends if aluminum will corrode in smoggy, salt, or acidic air. Also, vibration will chafe the tubing where it passes thru the sheet metal plates where the return bends are at the ends of the coil.
Mechanical damage can be soldered/brazed, but porosity can't.
Tom Beer 4U2

Old 05-01-09, 09:50 AM
J
have a amana air conitioner the coolen coils rusted out

Our cenral air is a amana bought by in 1974. the coolen coils rusted out. Need to know if i can get coils to go with it since it is 35years old now.

Old 05-02-09, 04:17 AM
If you pay enough money, you could get a coil made to fit (If you could find someone willing to do it). But by then you can have a new cond. unit with a warrantee installed for a lower cost.
And I'll bet the cost to operate it would drop by 50% or thereabouts.
For long term peace of mind, I would install a new system using R410a as the refrigerant. More efficient and ozone friendly, too.
Tom Beer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: