want to remove our backyard compressor

Old 04-26-09, 08:45 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
want to remove our backyard compressor

I guess that is correct, the unit that is outside the house is called the compressor? To get to my point we bought our house new 3 years ago with Central Air, but don't use it, we get along just fine with a couple of smaller window units. We find it is cheaper to operate and have done this for years even when we lived in a rural area for 14 years. We are in Michigan for the curious. We are thinking of trying to get a couple of bucks for the unit say around $100. My husband says we would have to find someone who knows what they are doing to disconnect it? We are assuming it is not a freon unit since this was 2006 the house was built in. Any advice anywhere?

Old 04-27-09, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
It is likely that there is "Freon" refrigerant in your system and it would cost more than $100.00 to have it removed.

I would suggest that having a central A/C sytem installed and working adds far more value to your house than you could ever get by selling it.
A used A/C has little value.

I would also suggest that if you had the central system on and turned to a higher setting, matching the overall cooling that you get from the window units, your power costs would be similar with increased comfort.

Old 04-27-09, 07:14 AM
S
One reason we want to remove it is they put it in over a bed of stones, the landscaping type and the frame is falling away from the edge. We felt it should have been places on a slab, but they put a plastic type of slab over the stones.

Sorry, but I don't agree with the efficiency aspect, we cooled a 1600 sq ft home with two units running, one only about 10,000 btu's and the other about 5,000, and at times only ran one. Here we only run one at a time, one is 5,000 and the other 8,000 btu's. We run the 8 in the day time and the 5 at night shutting off the 8. This house is 1,200 sq ft.

Old 04-27-09, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Oh ok.
If your small a/c units make your house comfortable for you then you will be mostly using them as dehumidifiers if you are in a humid climate.
There is no denying that running an 8000 BTU unit will be less expensive than a central which for you should be around an 18 or 24,000 BTU unit but if it works it's a good thing.

Regardless, you would need someone qualified to remove the refrigerant before it could be unhooked.
Also, if you were going to sell the complete system you would need someone to repair the duct work after the coil is removed from the furnace.

Anyway, it still does not make sense to remove considering it would cost anywhere from 3-5 k to replace.
If you are careful you should have no problem repairing what the unit is sitting on.

Old 04-27-09, 01:33 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
How about a picture of the unit and how/where the slab is failing? Plastic (composite) slabs are pretty common for condenser (proper name for a compressor and coil) units and if I am correctly envisioning this installation it shouldn't be much of a job to repair or replace the failing parts.

Pictures first need to be uploaded to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com and the URL posted here.

Old 04-27-09, 04:27 PM
S
Thanks Greg and Furd. Your advice about not taking it out was basically what I was wondering about. I could load photos, but it isn't necessary we can easily beef up what is there and take care of it, we have been at home improvement for over 40 years. We just thought it would be possible to just get it out of the way. A thought also is when you hear about houses being stripped for things like that an copper etc. it was just a thought to remove a temptation, but I guess it will stay. Thank you for your tolerance.

Old 04-27-09, 04:33 PM
S
Originally Posted by GregH
Oh ok.
If your small a/c units make your house comfortable for you then you will be mostly using them as dehumidifiers if you are in a humid climate.
There is no denying that running an 8000 BTU unit will be less expensive than a central which for you should be around an 18 or 24,000 BTU unit but if it works it's a good thing.
I would just add that yes it does work like a dehumidifier, but it does bring the temperature down also enough to make it comfortable, plus we use small fans in the rooms we are using. This house is not an open floor plan like the one we left, but it still works. I understand where others would not want our effect but it works fine for us.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: