No Power To AC or Thermostat

Old 04-30-09, 07:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No Power To AC or Thermostat

ok for some reason we have no power to the thermostat or AC/heating unit. we checked the fuses and the breakers and everything seems to be fine. we were told to replace the thermostat but we dont wanna spend anymore money unless we have to.
anyone one have any other ideas on what might be the problem. from the sounds of it we are getting a new thermostat tomorrow. and we hope that works. because i really dont wanna go through florida summer without AC

Old 05-01-09, 04:39 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How did you test to determine you were not getting power to the thermostat? And I am wondering why you are going to try to replace the 'stat if you say there is no power going to it? Will be glad to try to help more, with some more feedback.

Old 05-04-09, 06:17 AM
E
It's rather easy for someone with a cheap voltmeter you can buy anywhere, to see if you have current coming out of the stat to energize the fan and a/c wires (which are the G and Y terminals where the stat wires hook up in the furnace). At least then you would know if the the stat is doing it's job or not, without wondering.

And first to make sure your inside breaker is on and working.

And your outside breaker or disconnect is on and working.

And to see if you have 24 volts out by the outside a/c unit when you turn down the a/c for a call for cooling.

And to make sure the stat is set to a/c or a systems auto mode (see below).

And to see if you have 240 volts out there at the outside unit.

If you have a combo heat/ac stat that can be set to an auto mode(where it can automatically switch from heat to a/c), that it is in that mode, and not just set to heat (I know...you are in Florida, but you never know....it can get cold there sometimes......and feel worse if it suddenly drops there, than what it feels to someone like me in Wisconsin with below 0 temps!)This auto mode is not the same auto mode that some stats have, that give you the choice between having the fan run all the time or not. This is a 'systems' setting where you can choose between heat, a/c, or auto mode, where this partciular auto mode can switch to either heat or a/c when called for.

When you have a call for cooling does the blower inside the house come on, or not?

Who put in the stat? Digital? Were all the instructions followed and any dip switches set according to instructions? And any jumper wires left in place or disconnected per instructions? Did you remember to program it? Or have you tried any override of program, to see if it comes on then?

Was the thermostat replaced in the first place because you used to have a working a/c, but then it stopped working? The compressor and fan do not come on in the outside a/c unit, and no air of any sort blows out the registers with a cal for cooling?

Do you have heat with this system? Is this a split system that also has a furnace in the mix or is this a heat pump system?

Old 05-04-09, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
well we had someone come out and look at it only costed $40 but the problem will cost 1,200 to fix ( compressor went bad)

Old 05-04-09, 03:28 PM
E
That's too bad. So did you ever have at least room temperature air come out the registers when it was set to cool?

What still bothers me some, is the fact you thought the stat was dead. And I'm wondering why you would have thought that if the blower say came on (room temperature air only, of course) when you turned it to cool.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: