I'm stupid

Old 05-05-09, 05:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I'm stupid

I'm stupid! I'm going to catch it from you guys! Jarredsdad is going to give me he!!.

For those that don't know me I work for a very large mechanical contractor on the east cost. I have been out of the HVAC side for over 12 years except for here and there. I have been doing IAQ work from then.

Ok my parents have a rental home and the tenant called and said the AC was not cooling very well. So I slipped by during work one day turned the unit on and hooked up my gauges. Suction was in retard. So I had to go and come back that evening. Came back hooked gauges back up cleaned condenser, pulled evaporator (pain in the @ss). It was clean so put it back (should have bought a case coil) and cut system on. Delta T was at 10 and suction was still retard so I'm thinking valves on gone! So the tenants kids or trying to go to bed so I call it a night. Went back on this past Saturday to look at it again. This time I hook my gauges up on the correct lines!!!!!!!!!!!! and pressures or fine! (never would have guessed) So any way 1st stage of electric heat was on when AC was on. So now I have to replace the sequencer that I just replaced last fall. Is it still under warranty? Do you think I should pay myself for replacing it again. Ok I'm stupid go a head and laugh at me.

Old 05-05-09, 05:34 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by airman.1994
This time I hook my gauges up on the correct lines!!!!!!!!!!!! and pressures or fine! (never would have guessed) So any way 1st stage of electric heat was on when AC was on.
That is quite odd, and I can see probably most people not catching that. Very good to bring something like this up so that we all remember this.

Old 05-05-09, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
I'm not raggin on ya...but it happens to other people on here all the time...soooo...

Is your license valid and current to be working on the refrigerant side?

No slack just cause you help out a bunch of people on here...lol

Old 05-05-09, 06:19 PM
Current! I did forget to pay for my mechanical license so that is gone. Guess if I ever need it I will have to take the test again.

Old 05-06-09, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
Is your license valid and current to be working on the refrigerant side?
Once EPA Cert is obtained it does not expire. Only reason you May need to re-cert is if you loose the card and EPA can't find the record.

Airman, what line did you connect suction to get the gauge to retard?

Pressures mean very little without temps.

Probably 30 day warranty on sequencer. Stat or some other problem has to turn the elec heat on before power gets to sequencer?

Screw ups and being stupid. I could write a book! Problem is, no one would buy it.

Old 05-06-09, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
JD...sure we'd buy it...as long as it was a paperback...just so we could rag on YOU! lol
It was your screw ups and mistakes right? No fair if it was other people.....

Old 05-06-09, 04:25 PM
JD sequencer is stuck closed! This is straight AC with electric heat. suction on the liquid line. yep I was a tard that day. JD I put the sequencer in last fall.

Old 05-06-09, 04:39 PM
No just me.

Here's one from last year. To be fare to Me, we were short handed and I was on 3 jobs at the same time.

Comp change out. Get my gear to the roof, emergency call comes in can I go? Sure, start recovery machine go handle EM call.

GO handle easy call come back, never opened machine valves, no R-22 recovered.

Same unit. Had to slave 120 form one leg of the 208 3 phase coming in. Disconnected comp wires, hooked up my 120 slave cord and turned power on. Did the whole change out had vac pump running. Mat as well wire comp back up. Grab wires, BANG! Blew a hole in a copper line. Trane 3 phase only has 2 phases going through contactor, 1 line is always hot. STUPID!

Had to reapir line and start over. Worked overtime that day, just didn't charge for it. I like a good nights sleep.

I'm the first to point out my own short comings, figure it's also better if I notice them first.

Old 05-06-09, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by airman.1994
JD sequencer is stuck closed! This is straight AC with electric heat. suction on the liquid line. yep I was a tard that day. JD I put the sequencer in last fall.
See there's another stupid thing. Airman said retard and I'm thinking vacuum for some dumb reason.

I'd think you would have the have the receipt to try and get anywhere with warranty. What's it cost 20 bucks?

Old 05-06-09, 04:55 PM
Maybe $15! But I am a trained craftsman that should be paid at least $45 an hour for side work! Oh yea forgot this was for my parents! guess I'll eat the time and the price for the part.

Old 05-06-09, 05:42 PM
I would. Mom will make something to eat??

New things break just like old things. Unless made in China, might be broken out of the box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: