New compressor..not cooling

Old 05-07-09, 08:34 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New compressor..not cooling

I had a brand new compressor installed because our 10 year old one was blowing but no longer cooling. When freon was put in it would cool for a little while but then stop cooling. Obviously it was leaking and old and we decided to replace rather than repair. Well...new compressor and 3 service calls later it still is not working. It cools for about 20 minutes and then just blows regular air!! They have adjusted the meter, cleaned the coils, and installed a new expantion valve. Now they want to replace the interior coils for $1300!!! I feel like a sucker. Please advise!

Old 05-07-09, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When you say compressor do you mean the entire outdoor condensing unit or just the compressor ?
What meter did they adjust ?

It sounds like you replaced the outdoor unit and adapted to existing line set and coil is this correct ?

If so, what are the model and serial numbers of indoor and out door equipment

Old 05-07-09, 11:43 AM
H
Ok...I checked the outdoor new unit...,it is a York model # TCGD60S2152A serial # W0G8135315. The indoor unit is also a York...couldn't get to the model or serial number but it is called a Diamond 80.

Thanks for your help!!!

Old 05-07-09, 11:46 AM
H
I don't know what the meter is called....sorry!! This is well beyond my technical capability!! My husband doesn't know as much as I do so we are in trouble!!

Thanks for your help!!

Old 05-07-09, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
IMHO the contractor that installed that cond unit didn't do you any favors. Unless $ was a big factor its ridiculous to replace a 10 yr old condensor with an R-22 13 SEER unit.

If the indoor coil really is leaking you now have no choice but to stay with the lowest effeciency allowable be federal law, with a refrigerant thats being phased out.

With the new tax credits they should have advised you to replace the entire system.

O.K., make sure they do a leak check and prove the coil is bad, I would also make sure they isolate and leak check the line set.

When was the outdoor unit replaced ?

Old 05-07-09, 01:42 PM
H
November 2008 and hasn't worked since. What proof of the bad coil am I looking for?? Should they be able to show me something?

We are in CA so maybe the tax credits, etc. are different here...I don't know. Also, we only use the system maybe 1 month a year as we are not in an extremely hot climate if that explains some things.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: