Trane Air Handler Timer Delay Relay problem?

Old 05-09-09, 12:05 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane Air Handler Timer Delay Relay problem?

I have a Trane Air Handler Model TWE042C140B1, FB1. When the system calls for the blower to come on, I can hear the timer delay relay clicking. When I opened the unit up the next day to take a look, I noticed the black 220 wire coming in to the unit was burned slightly. Can the relay chattering cause a short that would heat up the wire insulation enough to burn it thru to the conductor? I am looking for a place to order the part online and to see if the part number I have is a good number. My book calls for RLY1685 which I found online for $175, but another site calls for this updated relay REL2807A for $75. I want to wire up the blower motor directly until I get the relay in, but a little concerned with the burnt wire at the wire nut. Any help is appreciated!

Old 05-09-09, 12:28 PM
The charttering (make and break) of the relay will cause the wire to over haet and burn. Just like a loose terminal connection (say) at a contactor will cause the same thing.

The make - break causes heat to build and build.

Trane website says this about the relay in question:

RLY01685

Description RELAY;TIME DELAY,DPST, 6 FLA, 35 LRA AT 240 FAC, 25 VA AT 24 VAC, PC BOARD INCLUDED.

Buy what you can online. Trane says no longer available.

Last edited by Jarredsdad; 05-09-09 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-09-09, 02:02 PM
I
A couple of sites show that the replacement for my no longer produced delay relay is REL2807A. Thanks for the quick reply Jarredsdad. Any issues with hard wiring the blower motor for now until I get the new relay? Also, I have read on another site that the new relay does not come with a wiring diagram. Anybody made this change before and have a diagram for the new relay?

Old 05-09-09, 02:24 PM
Stupid Me

Neglected to click the supercede button.

Your relay is replaced by this.

Part Item Number RLY02807
Description RELAY; TIME DELAY, POWER POLE-7 FLA, 36 RLA AT 240VAC, PILOT POLE-25 VA AT 24 VAC, 2 SEC ON-DELAY (INCLUDES PC BOARD)

Cheaper too.

Wiring, beats me. Without knowing how the old is wired compared to new, lost.

Old 05-09-09, 02:27 PM
Link

Check this:

RLY02807 TIME DELAY RELAY

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: