trane XL1400 is cooling good!!

Old 05-11-09, 07:02 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question trane XL1400 is cooling good!!

first off wanted to say hello to all, my name is "ED"Beer 4U2
my Trane xl1400 2 speed condenser is making a strange noise,as if a bearing is going bad.
the fan motor has a piece on the bottom that has a coil and a bunch of other chips and what not.
the other night i noticed my house wasnt cooling very well,so i paniced.
apparently someone had turned my thermostat down to 70 after the unit had shut off,after cooling down to 75.
so i ran outside and noticed my condenser was hot.
so i grabbed the water hose and cooled the coils and waited for 20mins. went back into turn the ac back on,ahhhhh nice and cold.
i go back outside only to hear my condenser making this funny noise as stated above,so i turned the ac back off.
i took the top off the condenser too get to the fan motor to see if it was locked up or fixing to lock up,it was FREEEE.
but it is making this hideous noise as if there was a bad bearing,but more of a chatter than a constant squeal.
is there any possibilities that there is a problem with the high or low switch not allowing the one to kick on or off and cause the noise as stated.
thanks
Ed
any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED

Old 05-12-09, 09:05 AM
Z
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Don't know what is causing the noise but if the unit is still under warranty I would have a tech check it out in case parts need to be replaced. You would want to do this before the warranty expires.

Old 05-12-09, 02:40 PM
E
warranty is long gone.believe you me i would have tried that route first before i came here
thanks
Ed

Old 05-12-09, 07:29 PM
E

well for those folks that didnt know or may have similar problems in the near future.
i went to a NEW single speed motor with matching capacitor.
thanks
Ed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: