Through-Wall AC installations and sleeves

Old 05-12-09, 08:11 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Through-Wall AC installations and sleeves

I am looking to replace my in-wall unit since it is a several years old and will no longer cool adequately. My wall opening is 24" wide by 16" high. I've found a few Friedrich units that will fit but they specify that a separate sleeve is required and when I check these sleeve dimensions they are too large. What is the purpose of the extra sleeve? The Panasonic unit that I'm replacing was billed as a window or wall unit and didn't have a separate sleeve. This unit fit snug into the opening as is.

Thanks....Tom

Old 05-12-09, 09:01 PM
D
Which model Friedrichs are you looking at? I've never had buy an accessory sleeve. I've put in hundreds. What is your wall construction? How thick?

Old 05-12-09, 09:16 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
the sleeve that they say is extra im betting is just sold separately and does not come with the unit. there's no 2nd sleeve i bet.

and will the admins get rid of this stupid 180 second rule spammers are going to spam even if its 30 minutes between posts.

Old 05-15-09, 08:16 AM
T
Originally Posted by daddyjohn View Post
Which model Friedrichs are you looking at? I've never had buy an accessory sleeve. I've put in hundreds. What is your wall construction? How thick?
The wall is 8" thick. It is a frame enclosed porch addition on an otherwise log home. The addition has log siding to match with chinking in between so I'd rather not have to enlarge the hole since it would require a fair amount of finish work.

I don't necessarily need a Friedrich or any other brand or model. I just need to find a rear venting unit that will fit inside the existing 24" wide by 16" high opening.

I'm pretty sure that the existing Panasonic unit was a window or wall install unit. It DOES have side vents as well as entire back being open but the side vents are far enough back that they are beyond the exterior wall trim. It's an older unit though and I haven't found a match for it.

Old 05-15-09, 02:03 PM
T
Maybe the question that I should be asking is, is there any reason why I shouldn't use a "window" a/c unit assuming that it:
A) fits in the opening..and
B) any side vents that it may have clear the outside wall.

Old 05-15-09, 03:28 PM
D
As long as the vents are clear, you're ok. Some units have the intake and exhaust at the rear.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: