Portable Room Air Conditioner

Old 05-15-09, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Portable Room Air Conditioner

Hi All:
Due to a convenience of carrying around room to room, now
I'm thinking of buying the following item, .... Portable Room Air-conditioner:

" De'Longhi
9,000-BTU Portable Room Air Conditioner" or similar unit with slightly more power.

One thing over which I am concerned is whether this, new-type unit is as same working condition as regular/ordinary Air-conditioner?

I'd truly appreciate it if any of you could offer me any good and bad opinions.

Old 05-15-09, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Lets put it this way...I saw literally pallets of those things returned under warranty when I worked where they were sold.
And its not that easy to just move around, you have to haul it into the room then fit the exhaust hose to a window and seal it, then make sure it doesn't trip the breaker where you want to plug it in.

Now, they absolutely DO make portable units that work, but they are for industrial applications, shipyards, etc.

My opinion...you'd be better off buying a few small window units for the rooms you use the most.

Old 05-17-09, 09:28 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Things to remember about "portable" air conditioners are that as Gunguy mentioned, they are not really portable in the sense they need a fair amount of electricity to operate and they also need a window for the exhaust tube. Plus, a single-hose model WILL exhaust conditioned air out that exhaust tube while needing non-conditioned outside air to come into the room from some source such as an open window or leaking weatherstripping. That kind of defeats the purpose of trying to condition the house. The exhaust hose will also radiate a fair amount of the exhausted heat back into the room making the effective cooling capacity of the unit less than a similar rated window unit.

The better portables have a two hose arrangement that brings in outside air for cooling the unit and then exhausting this air (with the added heat) back outside. Two hose units will also use the condensed moisture from the conditioned air to improve the overall efficiency of the unit and exhaust this moisture outside. A single hose unit will need the moisture drip pan emptied on a regular basis.

To further improve the efficiency of the two hose unit you can add insulation to the two hoses. My unit has 5 inch hoses and I added 6 inch insulated flexible duct over the plastic hoses. It doesn't look very nice but it did improve the performance.

Old 05-27-09, 01:06 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furd
To further improve the efficiency of the two hose unit you can add insulation to the two hoses. My unit has 5 inch hoses and I added 6 inch insulated flexible duct over the plastic hoses. It doesn't look very nice but it did improve the performance.
What brand of portable a/c do you have?

Old 05-27-09, 06:21 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I have a 12,000 BTU Soleus but there are other manufacturers that have equivalent products.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: