AC fan outside only runs with a push

Old 05-16-09, 10:49 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC fan outside only runs with a push

Hello,

We have been running the AC the last few weeks with no problem.

Yesterday after a few mins of the AC running the air didn't seem to be as cool as normal. I looked at the outside unit and the fan wasn't running so I quickly shut it off.

Today I decided to try and see if the fan would spin with help. I turned the unit, went outside, and put a small stick through the top grill a pushed the fan... Whala!! The fan started to move and then spun like normal.

When it kicked off I set it to come back on, and it again needed a little push to get started.

My gut says it's the fan motor. I don't know a lot about AC units so I'm just guessing. I have changed motors twice in my life and I know that at least is easy.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Thanks

Old 05-16-09, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
The capacitor....follow the wires from the motor to the round or oval can and look for leaks or bulging. Turn off the power, short across the leads with a screwdriver, make a drawing of the wires, and take the old cap out. Go to an HVAC dealer/supply house and get a replacement.

Old 05-16-09, 04:21 PM
S
Grainger Industrial Supply should be around you and welcomes DIYers for that cap

Old 05-17-09, 10:55 AM
R
I have that diagram laying around somewhere already. When I moved here eight years ago my dad said the capacitor needed replaced. He told me what to do and how to do it one weekend. From what I remember it was an easy fix.

Thank you both, I do appreciate the help.

Old 05-17-09, 05:31 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sminker View Post
Grainger Industrial Supply should be around you and welcomes DIYers for that cap
Granger is a wholesaler and do not cater to consumers.

Old 05-18-09, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
flirty...that used to be true..and may still be at your store, but several people have posted that in this economy they are happy to sell to anyone.

Someone even had a link to somewhere on the Grainger website saying everyone was welcome.

Most supply companies will sell small items to anyone, even if they normally deal with Pro's only.

Old 05-18-09, 09:08 AM
S
My Grainger store has always welcomed my DIY business. I sure like their catalog.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: