Swamp Cooler Problem

Old 05-18-09, 02:50 PM
Q
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Swamp Cooler Problem

I went to start my swamp cooler for the first time this year and it shut down. It runs great for about 10 minutes, then I hear a thumping sound, then it shuts off. It's a simple cooler with a two speed fan switch and an on/off switch for the pump. I took off one of the panels and moved the fan by hand. It seems to turn smoothly and easily. Any ideas?

Old 05-18-09, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I think the thumping sound has to have something to do with the fan motor. Is this a small window type unit or a whole house roof model?

Does it start right back up, or do you have to let it cool off for a while.

Old 05-18-09, 03:34 PM
Q
It sits in the window. I have to let it sit for a little while before it will start back up.

Old 05-18-09, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yeah, I think you need to look at replacing the fan motor. If it runs for 10 min then stops, I'd guess that you have worn bearings that take that long to heat up and distort, then the thermal overload kicks in.

They aren't too expensive, though can be kind of a pain to replace.

Old 05-18-09, 03:57 PM
Q
I'm going to head down to Home Depot and pick one up. I had to replace it a few years ago, so it will be easier to do this time around. Thanks!

Old 06-17-12, 02:14 PM
S
Just had this problem...

My swap cooler was making a thudding noise, but mine turned out to be the "Pillow bearing," the rubber had extruded out due to someone ::cough cough:: me ::cough cough:: not oiling it.

The part runs about $5.00, an thankfully the one that failed was on the side away from the pully, so it's not a bad fix. (Unfortunately, mine was fused on the shaft, so I had to use a Blow Torch to loosen it.)

By the by, there are two types of pillow bearings, so be sure to check which one you need. It wouldn't hurt to buy a new "collar" while you are at it.

FYI: A pillow bearing has a brass sleeve on the inside. The bearing is stationary while the shaft spins inside. 3 or 4 drops of oil (for swamp coolers) keep them up and running.

Well, good luck.

Cheers, Shelby

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: