No condensation coming out of drip pipe?

Old 05-21-09, 10:11 AM
Question No condensation coming out of drip pipe?

We live in Denver where it isn't very humid, but we have had some more humid days recently with temperatures around 90F. Not a drop of water coming out of condensation line. AC is cooling well. We had the same problem last year. I had a repairman come last year and check the freon levels. He said they were fine.

Why isn't unit condensating? Any ideas?

Thank you.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-09, 10:22 AM
Could be the volume of the condensate is enough to fill the drain tube, or it is simply re-evaporating. The laws of thermodynamics still apply in the mile-high city, so if your system is removing heat from humid air, water will still be produced...but higher altitude air (lower pressure) allows re-evap to occur more quickly.

The other things to look into would be a clogged drain tube or your system is not properly charged, and what is cool to you may not be the right cool for the system, or it could be unbalanced.

Old 05-21-09, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Well, I'm in the middle/high desert here in AZ and I haven't had any condensate drain yet either...prob a little dryer than you though. We had the same thing last year (first full year here) and I didn't see any actual running water until June, just too dry I guess.
We haven't gotten to 30% humidity, even when there were rain clouds on the horizon.

You should be able to look at the unit and see if there has been ANY condensate production right after it finishes running. You would probably have to take an access panel off of course.

You can also check to see if the line is clear by attaching a wet/dry shop vac and trying to suck anything out that might be in the line.

Do you have a secondary line attached to a secondary pan under the unit? Any water in the pan?

Old 05-21-09, 10:32 AM
It has produced condensation in years before last year. Maybe it is unbalanced. The house seems humid and stuffy as well.

Old 05-21-09, 10:36 AM
I would make sure the condensate isn't going somewhere else, like your walls or ceiling. Check the drain pan, or operate it with the coil cover, not blower cover, removed. You can blow out a clogged drain tube with a compressor or like gunguy said, with a shop vac hooked up to blow.

Old 05-21-09, 11:09 AM
Where thecondensate line exits the coil enclosure (it's like a 1/2" ID pipe. There may be a cap on the line if you look. That's to pour bleach or whatever down the line to clean it. Pour plenty of water in there. see if it exits outside. If it's plugged it'll pop up in your face.

Old 05-21-09, 11:33 AM
because it's always cool when bleach pops up in your face

Old 07-26-09, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by tomwalsh View Post
I would make sure the condensate isn't going somewhere else, like your walls or ceiling. Check the drain pan, or operate it with the coil cover, not blower cover, removed. You can blow out a clogged drain tube with a compressor or like gunguy said, with a shop vac hooked up to blow.
how could you get a broken condensation line if it's under the slab? I got one myself but couldn't figure out why and how to fix it.

Old 07-27-09, 04:54 AM
If you're sure its broken under the slab abandon it, and repipe at the unit to a condensate pump.

Condensate Pumps Little Giant