Leaking A/C in attic

Old 05-23-09, 06:39 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking A/C in attic

Hello...

I have a recently installed Central A/C unit in my home. The unit is sitting horizontally in the attic and appears to be leaking water from inside the insulation that houses the duct work where it meets the main unit. The pan under the unit also has water in it. I have 2 PVC pipes coming from the unit. One goes to the back of the house and drops a couple feet off the ground behind the outside unit. The other goes across the attic and comes out a couple of feet above a window on the side of the house. The pipe that comes out above the window is the one that leaks. The pipe that comes out at the back of the house doesn't.

I have a few questions...

1) What is the cause of the leak?

2) Is that cause normal?

3) How do I un-clog the main line?

Thanks for your advice...Beer 4U2

Old 05-23-09, 07:54 AM
K
The pipe at your window is to tell you that the condensate is not draining out the way it should be which is out the back pipe.Condensate [water] should drain out the back pipe with A/C on,,unless it is plugged. You could try to suck out the plugged line with a WET/DRY vac,[NOT a regular vacuum] to get the plug out.

Old 05-23-09, 10:40 AM
B
A/C pipe leaking outside

Inside drip pan dry. Have only one pipe running outside. It
began leaking recently. Have had a/c service 3 times to address this. Each time say the line is cleared. Is there
something I can do myself. Is there another pipe that may
be in the attic that drains directly into plumbing without being
seen outside? a/c works great have checked each year.

Old 05-23-09, 11:29 AM
K
Re-read your post-- if water is leaking from in between the insulation and ductwork than you may have an air leak causeing condensate to form on ducting. If you have had three service calls than they are not looking far enough to find the root problem. Look for air leaks.maybe insulation is pulled away from duct.Is fan blowing water down duct?Is system cooling, or coil frozen?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: