Old 05-23-09, 10:17 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fan motor on outdoor unit won't spin - Need advice on repair service

Technical info on this unit:

Whole house air conditioner
Mfr: Inter-City Products, Lavergne, TN 37086
Model No. CA024QKB4 / 867.830220 ("5000")
Style No. 24MCA-00089CR
Serial No. L921873058
Mfr No. NCA5024QKB1
Mfg Date: 5/92

Problem: The fan won't spin up by itself. If pushed, it spins (slowly), then stops after about 30 seconds. If the unit needs a fan, I wouldn't be able to install it by myself.

History: It was installed by Sears and has been serviced by them (recharging) before.

Question: Would it be better to get Sears in to do the necessary repairs or should I call in any local A/C company to do the job? Which would be the better approach? Your opinions welcomed. Thank you.

Frank D

Old 05-23-09, 12:08 PM
K
Could be a bad capacitor or fan motor.As for as a service company take your pick.I can not tell you a specific name.Most companies have their range of tech's, ok techs to supertechs.

Old 05-23-09, 12:22 PM
F
Originally Posted by kilowatt
Could be a bad capacitor or fan motor.As for as a service company take your pick.I can not tell you a specific name.Most companies have their range of tech's, ok techs to supertechs.
I think it's a bad fan motor that needs replacing, because when I push on a fan blade to get it started, it's very stiff and not free-moving, like it needs lubrication, and when it spins it's very slow before coming to a stop.

I've placed an order for service with Sears, since we can't afford to wait. We've always had good results with them. My wife needs the A/C for medical reasons. Today is Saturday and they'll be here Tuesday afternoon. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for your advice.

Frank D

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: