Where can I find codes?

Old 05-28-09, 06:09 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where can I find codes?

What I need to know is how should I mount my condenser unit? I'm in Tallhassee, Fla. I've poured a concrete slab about 9 inches thick, but would like to get the unit higher off the ground. Where would I find out if it's legal to add a pressure treated wooden "deck" on top of the pad?
thanx

Old 05-28-09, 06:39 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hopefully you are getting a tech to do the finals on this install.

Anyway I don't know of any code that would restrict you from setting it up off the ground. Depending on how high you want it up some HVAC suppply stores carry 3" - 6" risers "legs" to get the unit off the ground. Pretty sure down there it must be secured for hurricane safety.

9" pad. Wow, my driveway isn't even that thick.

Old 05-29-09, 07:40 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattison
Hopefully you are getting a tech to do the finals on this install.
Yep, I sure am. I'm a grease monkey, so the transit bus R22 systems I'm used to working on are lots simpler.

Anyway I don't know of any code that would restrict you from setting it up off the ground. Depending on how high you want it up some HVAC suppply stores carry 3" - 6" risers "legs" to get the unit off the ground. Pretty sure down there it must be secured for hurricane safety.
Was mainly wondering if there is any reason (legal or practical) I shouldn't build a 6 inch pressure treated lumber "deck" on top of the concrete pad.

9" pad. Wow, my driveway isn't even that thick.
Yea, but this is only 36" by 36".

Old 05-29-09, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Since I was the one that originally suggested it, I think...there's really no reason why you can't, as long as everything is securely anchored so it doesn't walk from vibrations.

Back in VA it was actually a requirement that units be raised above 10ft at houses in the flood zones.

Most were just put on a sort of small freestanding elevated deck on 4x4 or 6x6 posts. Must have been a bear to work on, since the deck was normally only 6" or so bigger than the unit on all sides. Nothing like working on an A/C from an extension ladder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: