Overflow from AC ?

Old 05-28-09, 07:03 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Overflow from AC ?

I am a new house owner moved in couple of months ago.

There is a valve from gutter where water keep dripping (some times flowing) when a/c is on for 15-20 minutes. The pics below would describe it more

Picasa Web Albums - AC leak

When a/c is off the water dripping stops in about 10 minutes.

I checked and couldnt find any water in the pan below the a/c unit.

I had a technician came in today by my 'buyers insurance company' and he said it is a drainage block and he cleaned it. but the problem persists.

Not sure how to go about this. Any help/directions are appreciated. Thanks in advance

Just in case, the house is built in 2005. This is central a/c. Only 1 unit for both stories. The a/c fan is in the backyard. The unit is in the second story attic . The gutter valve mentioned is also in the second story. builder is david weekly.

Old 05-28-09, 07:53 PM
D
the pipe at the eave is an overflow to alert you that something is wrong with the primary drain line.

Old 05-28-09, 08:17 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
you drain line

There are no valves involved. The plastic PVC pipe is a condensate line. You need to get in the attic and see whats happening. Bring a 5/16 nut driver and flash light with you. There should be a secondary pan under the unit to protect the ceiling in the event the AC got wet inside witch could cause mold growth...
You should have two White Plastic 3/4" PVC lines coming out of the unit. One of them should have a trap, if you have a good HVAC contractor he would have installed a cleanout plug, but what if you only have one line and its piped to drain there???? Take that camera and get in the attic and take a picture of the condensate lines so we know what you have...

Old 05-30-09, 11:57 AM
N
Thank you all for the advices. I do not see any water in the secondary pan even when water flowing from the pipe from the gutter.

hvac1453, There are 2 PVC pipes from the unit and 1 from the secondary pan as seen below.

AC pvc pipes

There are secondary pans for the water heaters and there are similar pvc pipe going out. No water seen there either.

Thanks again for the helps. I greatly appreciate them

Old 05-30-09, 12:03 PM
T
It doesn't appear that the secondary pan has an independent drain. If your secondary drain were to plug up, you wouldn't know it until you saw water on the ceiling. I'd recommend looking into a wet switch in that style of pan.

Old 05-30-09, 03:14 PM
N
Originally Posted by tinmantu
It doesn't appear that the secondary pan has an independent drain.
There is a pvc pipe going out of the secondary pan , as seen in this pic.

From AC leak

Isnt this the drain ? sorry abt the silly questions, I am really a newbie, Some one who fell through the roof the first week of moving in

Old 06-05-09, 03:16 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hard to see

I do however see the secondary condensate pan drain line....Take the shop vac and either blow or suck on the vertical vent on the PVC trapped line a feww inches away from the indoor air handler (the open tube)....if there is a blockage it should clear...the one with the trap SHOULD drain out ...if this is the one that leaks...it should be and is normal...if however it drips out of any other line there is a blockage. You can prime this and see if it drains, use a soda bottle.

Old 06-05-09, 05:25 PM
S
the unit trapped drain and the emergency pan are piped into the one pipe it seems at the eave.the eave should be the emergency pan,and the air handler piping should be piped down to the ground..so you can distinguish the two.the one down to the ground is your running condensate with the AC running,the other only if you see water dripping/running the emergency is picking up the blockage of the main pan in the unit.the emergency pipe out is usually over the kitchen window or on the side of the front stoop so it can be noticed.

Old 06-05-09, 09:37 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
All of the answers have been good but what has been missed is telling Newtx that it is normal for there to be water dripping from the primary drain piping. This water is from the dehumidifying function of the air conditioning system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: