brand new goodman condenser trouble

Old 06-02-09, 06:15 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy brand new goodman condenser trouble

Hi, I hope someone here can enlighten me... I had a new Trane furnace with a 5 ton ac coil installed in October of 08 and last Friday had a 4 ton 13 seer Goodman condenser and new line set hooked up to it. The ac cools for long periods of time but suddenly the compressor stops running and won't start for over an hour(the condenser fan and the furnace blower continue to run as normal). Do I need a hard start kit installed on the condenser to make it compatible with the coil ? Will a hard start kit void the 10 year warranty on the Goodman and possibly shorten its life?

Thanks for the help.

Max

Old 06-02-09, 06:34 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Id say you should have gotten a trane outdoor unit to match the inside unit. A hard start kit should not be needed because it sounds like the unit is starting fine. Id call the installing company back and have them fix it.

Old 06-02-09, 07:51 PM
It could be something other than the internal compressor overload stopping operation. There are controls that when they heat up, can open. Such as contactors, transformers, capacitors, time delays, circuit board components, etc...
Never assume anything, ever!
Tom Beer 4U2

Old 06-03-09, 04:30 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As airman said you should have gone with a compatible Trane condenser Call back the installing contractor and have them straighten it out

Old 06-03-09, 05:39 AM
J
I realize your post indicates that the compressor stops running. But, do you mean it runs through a cooling cycle and then cannot restart on the next call for cooling?

If yes, does the indoor coil have an expansion valve? If so, then you need a hard start installed on that compressor. This is also a requirement of the manufacturer.

However, the hard start only comes into play during compressor starting. If it's already running it's actually out of the circuit (the start capacitor, not the run capacitor).

If the compressor just shuts down, then other possibilities need to be explored. System pressures (superheat & subcooling) and compressor amps need to be checked as well.

As others mentioned, there are other possibilities as well. You probably need a tech for this one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: