Air Conditioner

Old 06-03-09, 10:42 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioner

When I put my t-stat on cool, it still calls for heat. What do i do?

The fan and condeser does not come on on the ouside unit.

I just bought the house and the copper to the outside unit was cut awy.

Does it need freon first before the fan will even start running?

Old 06-03-09, 10:52 AM
J
Was the missing copper replaced? Was the system checked for contamination? Were new filter dryers installed? Was a nitrogen purge done? Was the system leak checked? Was a vacuum pulled?

When all of the above steps are taken (plus others I didn't have time to mention), then it's time to add refrigerant.

Maybe you need a good tech to look things over.

Old 06-03-09, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What do you mean the copper lines were cut ? Was the whole lineset stolen?

Old 06-03-09, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If I'm getting the picture right...your outside unit has no copper piping going to it? Or has it been repaired and refilled?

Of course it won't work if it doesn't have the connections to the inside coil.

Your fan may come on, but all its doing is blowing around warm air.

EDIT...wow those guys were quick!!!

Last edited by Gunguy45; 06-03-09 at 10:56 AM. Reason: adding acknowledgement
Old 06-03-09, 02:12 PM
G
Air Conditioner

Yes, the cooper was repaired and connected to the coil. When I put the t-stat on cool, the heat still comes on. The outside unit fan does not come on.

Originally Posted by Gunguy45
If I'm getting the picture right...your outside unit has no copper piping going to it? Or has it been repaired and refilled?

Of course it won't work if it doesn't have the connections to the inside coil.

Your fan may come on, but all its doing is blowing around warm air.

EDIT...wow those guys were quick!!!

Old 06-03-09, 02:15 PM
G
Air Conditioner

Yes, the whole cooper was stolen and replaced leading from the furnace. I replaced the control board and the heat works great, but I cannot get the outside AC unit to work.

This is a house that was buiklt in 2004. I got it as a forclosure.

Originally Posted by dun11
What do you mean the copper lines were cut ? Was the whole lineset stolen?

Old 06-03-09, 02:19 PM
G
Air Conditioner

Yes the cooper was replace. I also replaced the control board on the Centurion II furnace. Heat works well but I cannot get the air to work. Did not check for contamination, Do not know what filter dryers are, please explain. Did not do other things you suggested yet. I just got started. Sound like I need a tech.

Originally Posted by jim-connor
Was the missing copper replaced? Was the system checked for contamination? Were new filter dryers installed? Was a nitrogen purge done? Was the system leak checked? Was a vacuum pulled?

When all of the above steps are taken (plus others I didn't have time to mention), then it's time to add refrigerant.

Maybe you need a good tech to look things over.

Old 06-03-09, 02:26 PM
D
Yes, you need to have a technician to come out and get everything striaght. Be sure to tell him/her that you replaced the copper so they can checl for proper size. I hope you used ACR tubing and not plumbing tubing. I hope you brazed and not soldered the tubing. It's a real shame what people are doing to foreclosed houses these days. They're even ripping the electrical cable out of the walls.

Old 06-04-09, 04:56 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, you need a tech as daddyjohn said. Your at the point where you could do more harm then good, make sure you have him check your board install just to be on the safe side.

Post what the tech recommends and we can advise you

Old 06-04-09, 06:07 AM
G
Originally Posted by dun11
Yes, you need a tech as daddyjohn said. Your at the point where you could do more harm then good, make sure you have him check your board install just to be on the safe side.

Post what the tech recommends and we can advise you
Thanks for your input. I will call a tech.

Old 06-04-09, 06:13 AM
G
Originally Posted by daddyjohn
Yes, you need to have a technician to come out and get everything striaght. Be sure to tell him/her that you replaced the copper so they can checl for proper size. I hope you used ACR tubing and not plumbing tubing. I hope you brazed and not soldered the tubing. It's a real shame what people are doing to foreclosed houses these days. They're even ripping the electrical cable out of the walls.
Thanks for your input. I will call a tech. Any suggstions for the CHicagoland area. There was a piece of copper pertruding from the furnace and the outside unit, so I soldered it and did not braze it. Should I redo it and braze it and use ACR tubing, since I used plumbing tubing.

Yes, it is a shame. I had to replace all the copper plumbing tubing in the entire house to every fixture including the washing machine area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: