Portable AC - Room above garage (skylights)

Old 06-03-09, 04:43 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Portable AC - Room above garage (skylights)

Hello! I'm dying up here! I am living in a 400 ft studio above a garage. I work from home so I am up here 24 hours a day. Knowing this we bought a 13,000 BTU Portable AC Unit from Costco (Sharp). I'm in Washington and it is about 85 degrees outside and it feels like 90 inside.

We have 4 skylights in the roof and I'm thinking a lot of the heating problems may be linked to the skylights. It got so bad today that I decided to just cover all the skylights by cramming cardboard up there.

How can I cool the place even more? With the 13,000 BTU unit running on mega-cool, it's way too hot up here!

Should I open the skylights and hope that the heat rising will vent it a bit? Or will the cold air sink allowing the hot air to come through the vent?

Should I open the main window on the other side of the room hoping to get the AC across the room?

The AC unit is in the FAR side of the room and my desk and such is located closer to the other window, but because of power restrictions we cannot switch it.

Would fans throughout the place facing the same direction as the AC do anything?

I'm desperate for help! I'm burning up!!!

Old 06-03-09, 05:42 PM
I would try a ceiling fan first or a couple portables to circulate the room air.

Your a/c is probably only cooling the air a few feet in front of it. Get the air in the entire room circulating.

Old 06-03-09, 05:45 PM
F
Originally Posted by Jarredsdad
I would try a ceiling fan first or a couple portables to circulate the room air.

Your a/c is probably only cooling the air a few feet in front of it. Get the air in the entire room circulating.
Yeah it's only going 7-8 feet or so, so maybe placing a fan at that point to try and push it forward would help circulate the cool air? I'll try putting a handful of fans in to see what that does.

Thanks!

Any other tips?

Old 06-04-09, 06:56 PM
Might think of "circulate" air in the room in terms of a circle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: