Please help me identify my AC unit

Old 06-06-09, 08:50 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please help me identify my AC unit

hello all. I have a Sears air conditioning system in my house that is at least 20 years old. My ac guy says i can get at best another two years out of it if we replace the evaporator coil. Unfortunately, it's so old we can't tell if it's a 3 ton or 5 ton system. The only model number on the unit is 36TEW7986010. i called sears directly and they have no idea. If anyone can help me in identifying the tonnage i would be very grateful!

thanks
-michael

Old 06-06-09, 09:16 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
In no way is putting that kind of money in a 20 year old system wise! Id spend the money to replace all of the system.

Old 06-06-09, 09:26 PM
S
Originally Posted by airman.1994
In no way is putting that kind of money in a 20 year old system wise! Id spend the money to replace all of the system.
i fully agree. but i don't have that kind of cash at the moment. I just bought the house. My ac guys is a LONG time family friend and i trust him. He says all the other components are sound. theres just a leak in the evaporator.

Any clues on the model?

Old 06-06-09, 10:58 PM
D
Well if he has any experience then he should know he can get the numbers off of the compressor and that will tell him the size. other clues- what is the square footage of your house? What size is the circuit breaker that supplies the outdoor unit? What is the horsepower of the indoor blower motor? What size is the indoor blower wheel? If you indoor coil has a TXV, he can get the numbers from it. If the indoor coil has an orifice, he could even back check the size of the orifice. Offhand, I think it's 3 tons.

Old 06-07-09, 12:36 AM
S
The model number usially has the BTU rating (minys the 000) somewhere in the number. In your case....the 36....36/12= 3 ton

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: