window a/c GE AGM08: digital temp increases on its own?

Old 06-08-09, 07:37 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
window a/c GE AGM08: digital temp increases on its own?

I have a 3 yr old GE A/C model# AGM08LJG1. It recently came out of attic storage for the winter and back into its normal place in the window. Initially it worked great and now it does the following:

I set the digital temp to 65 degrees and the timer was set to turn the unit off after 4 hours. However, upon returning to the room 2 hours after turn on, the digital temp read 69 degrees.

My initial troubleshooting: unplug the unit for a few minutes, plug it back in, try again. The issue persists.

Any idea what would cause this?
Any ideas as to how to fix it?

Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!

Old 06-09-09, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How hot has it been recently over there wher you live?

Maybe there's nothing wrong and the unit was doing its best. 65F is ice cold, and so is 69F. Please keep in mind that if an A.C. system can keep 75F it is doing its job. They are designed to mainly do that.

Yes, you may ask of the poor things temperatures much lower than 75F, but whether they can go as low as you'd like will depend on many factors. 65F is most definitely a stretch.

Old 06-09-09, 07:23 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What will an alcohol thermometer read when dangled right at the cold vent? I have seen some window units crank out between 43 and 48 degrees (when say it is 75 in the house, to begin with) -which is quite a bit lower than central a/c units, which I have measured at about 53-55 -in that range. The one I have just put in my window again for the season I wrote right on the top of it that it was putting out 50F. I haven't temp tested it this year yet. All I know is it felt really cold when I put it in and tested it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: