Dripping air handler in Attic

Old 06-09-09, 10:14 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dripping air handler in Attic

Hi All!
mild do it yourselfer here. most of my experience has been with cars, fridges or exterior work. Recently though i noticed that either during or right after my AC runs, i was getting drips in the attic that yellowed my ceiling. the system is a XE1000 trane, that was installed in 1995. there are two condesation lines running from the air handler, and i see them both draining outside. however on the opposite end of where the condesation lines attach to the air handler, it is now dripping onto my ceiling. there isnt a drip pan there to catch it. we just had a baby and don't really have the money to pay someone to come out and fix it.

I will try to take some pics tomorrow... it is 1AM here

i keep reading about cleaning the condensation lines, i probably could do that, but again, i see water dripping outside where they should be... maybe a partial block?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!Beer 4U2

Old 06-09-09, 11:21 PM
D
It could be a partial blockage in he drain lines or there could be some blockage in the drain pan inside the unit. Also check to see if the air handler has shifted so that it's leaning towards the area where you see the water coming out. Are you saying that there is no drip pan at all or the leak is missing an existing drip pan?

Old 06-10-09, 02:49 AM
S
shut the cooling off at the stat...up on the unit access the condesate side of the unit by removinng the panel on the air handler.the paan and the base of the unit is probably filled with water...take a 3' scrap piece of plastic hose with a wet piece of paper towel wrapped on the end push it into the pan where the drain opening connects..blow on the end of the hose ......your goal is to clear the white PVC trap after this the pan should empty out..for the insulation outside the pan sop it up with old towels as much as possible the air moving will dry it up.take a soda bottle and empty it into the pan to make sure the water flows out the connecting piping.repeat it on both sides if you have trapped PVC lines on both sides of that unit

Old 06-10-09, 06:27 AM
H
So it seems like there is some blockage going on somewhere...

daddyjohn - the handler just doesn't have a drip pan under it. the only drip pan i have is closer to the furnace (actually under it). and it is def possible that the unit could have shifted and is now not at the right angle. i really need to get a picture uploaded...

sminker - below is a crappy drawing of what it looks like. however the duct part is actually looks like it is a couple of sections. i haven't looked at it really well, but do you mean there might be a panel so that i can access these condesation lines from the inside? or maybe i need to pull them off some how and try to clean them?

By hightime81 at 2009-06-10[/IMG]

Old 06-10-09, 03:17 PM
S
if you remove the panel(either side) to view the fan motor the evaporator coil should also be visable...and the condensate pan is below that...if you have water dripping at the other end of the fan section that means the insulation is soaked from the condensate pan over flowing,and the fan blowing air there doesn't help the water in the pan.if there is minimal water in the condensate pan the water dripping might be from a dirty filter causing an ice build up(on coil) and then dropping off onto the insulation...check that pan and let us know.the condensate line white PVC is screwed into the condensate pan from the outside there is only the long pan under the silver coil that swets and the pan collects it....the pan has to be there and reachable even just to cycle water poured into it.

Old 06-10-09, 03:25 PM
D
there should be a removable panel where the drain lines come out of the unit. It might be all covered up in tape and mastic. You need to get in there and check the drain pan for gunk buildup. Also, put your level on it make sure the unit hasn't sagged away from the drains. If the water is coming out oppisite of where the drians are, the entire thing is probably full of water. Is this a Carrier unit?

Old 06-12-09, 04:49 PM
H
Hi Everyone! i really appreciate all of this help!

i am learning so much!!

i got up there today and didn't see an easy access point to get into the handler, so i will have to dig around to see if i can figure it out. i took my shop vac to the drains on the outside. one was barely dripping and i vac'd it and it didn't do much. the other one was dripping pretty good, but i gave it a whirl anyways and a whole bunch of brown water came out and then a lot more after that. now that one is down to very slight trickle. do you think that could have done it? or should i still access in the attic to make sure?

Trane unit FYI, 15 yrs old.

thx again!

Old 06-12-09, 08:18 PM
D
Wait and see what happens. did you check the air handler for levelness? If you can't get into the drain pan area in the air handler, you can cut the line in the attic, use the vac in both directions, then repair the line with a PVC tee. The two ends oppisite each other on a tee are called the run and the perpendicular opening is called the bull. So buy a tee that is glue x glue on the run and female threaded on the bull. When you glue in the tee, point the bull straight up and thread a pvc plastic plug into it. Next time, you'll have a cleanout access in the attic.

Old 06-13-09, 08:18 AM
H
DaddyJohn,

Great! thanks! i am going to do that. i have heard that they even sell clear ones called easy eves or something so that i can see if it is necessary to even clean it.

thank you all for your time! saved me i am sure a $100 house call!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: