AC unit compressor not kicking over

Old 06-26-09, 08:13 PM
ok that black box next to the caps is the relay [proper name is contactor] It's function is to start/stop the compressor and outdoor fan. Have you been resetting the red button?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-09, 10:22 AM
O I haven't been resetting it never pushed any red button

Old 06-27-09, 12:24 PM
well if it's running for only 15 minutes then shutting off the contactor, something is interrupting the circuit. Inside the store, does air from the unit blow on the thermostat? You're at a point where you're going to have to use a meter and do some live voltage testing. Do you see a small cable coming from the inside to the outdoor unit? That would be the control wires.

Old 06-28-09, 07:08 AM
there are two wires running from the outside unit to the inside unit (control wires) and the thermostat is a wireless remote control so I dont know if the air is blowing through that. But theres air blowing out of the top of the unit where the cold air used to blow out of. i'll take a picture of the inside unit as well with the cover off and show you guys what it looks like.

Old 06-28-09, 07:27 AM
If the contactor is dropping out either something is interrupting the contactor control circuit or the magnetic coil in the contactor gets weak after it heats up for a while. That small cable that comes out with the freon tubing is the control wire for the outdoor unit. Next time you see the contactor drop out, see if you have 24 volts across those wires outside.

Old 07-10-09, 11:17 AM
well, after all this, i had a hvac expert tech come in to look at it. He came to the conclusion that the compressor is dead. Its not really starting up anymore. It just loses its power and unclicks n shuts off. Need to replace the whole outside and inside wall unit.

Gonna have to look into lease on whos responsible for replacing the thing i think its my landlords responsibility but i'll have to check. In the mean time is there any way to do a quick fix or set up so i can cool down my ice cream store?

its about 450sq ft.