AC unit compressor not kicking over

Old 06-10-09, 11:00 AM
AC unit compressor not kicking over

Hello all....

First time poster and like this forum alot, ive gotten away with paying repair men alot of money with this site. But i have a new problem now, feel like this cycle never ends.

I have a ac unit that is outside that leads into my inside on the wall. Its a Tadiran galaxy. My problem is this, about 3 weeks ago it worked fine. But for the past week there is not cool air being generated. I can put the fan on and it will run continuously. But when i put the cooling mode on and set the temp to 70 degrees the unit will shut off after about a minute or two. When i turn off and turn back on in cooling mode i listened to the outside unit. The fan will kick on fine but the compressor will turn on for about 30 seconds and the whole unit will shut off automatically. The thing is the compressor wont turn on all the time. I tried it again and the fan will just spin and no other noises and then it'll shut off.

I had a repair guy come in and he measured the freon in it and it was full. Didnt need that. Then he checked the currents coming in and going out and that was good. He told me that the outside unit compressor isnt kicking over and pushing out the freon. He said i might have to get a whole new unit. ???? I am on a budget and need this replaced soon. Is there a way I can give the compressor a jump start or something? or any other fixes for this?

please any advice or suggestions or tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance fellas. Feel free to comment.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-09, 11:47 AM
Wink

You can try an SPP-6 hard start

Old 06-10-09, 01:11 PM
I just tried starting it up again, tightened up some wires i thought to be somewhat loose and I started it up and the compressor started up. It makes a clanking noise but it was going for about 15 mins this time longest since it worked. I went inside to the wall unit and checked to see if cool air was coming out and not really.

------

This SPP-6 hard start kit, do i need a tech come in and install it or can i do it myself? thanks for the help bud.

Old 06-10-09, 09:25 PM
A bad run cap can also cause the problem.

You should have a tech come and check out the entire system; do note that a hard start kit is just a patch if the unit worked for years without one.

Old 06-10-09, 10:53 PM
when the compressor ran for the 15 minutes, did the larger tube at the unit outdoors start to get cold?

Old 06-11-09, 05:49 AM
The larger pipe that comes out the outside unit I felt stuff going thru it wasn't very cold but was somewhat cool. But the air coming out of tv wall unit wasn't cooled air just the same air u get from the fan .

Old 06-11-09, 06:26 AM
Possible problems:

bad compressor [inefficient]

system low or out of refrigerant

you'll robably need to have someone come out and take a look at it

Old 06-11-09, 06:29 AM
The clanking noise isn't good, as stated the hard start will help but no gaurentee for how long. How old is the system?

Old 06-11-09, 09:02 AM
this system is in my business store. I have an ice cream store and i rent through a land lord. I came in last year and its just a summer business so i just need to get through july n august.I dont know how old the unit is, im guessing pretty old. Im wondering how much this repair will cost me. Would it be cheaper for me to buy or rent a portable air conditioner for the next two months?

again i appreciate the help and suggestions fellas.

Old 06-11-09, 09:54 AM
Its hard to give a price we don't know whats wrong, however, you should be able to get the system diagnosed for under $125

You already had 1 guy look at, he didn't tell you exactally what was wrong?

Honestly, I don't have much confidence in a guy who couldn't or wouldn't get it to run and yet you did

Old 06-11-09, 10:38 AM
Yeah he came n said that he doesn't deal too much with these systems cuz he said it's a heat pump system , but he said the compressor isn't kicking n doing it's job he told me to get in touch wit a repair man who deals with heat pumps , cost me $100 to hear that .

Old 06-11-09, 06:01 PM
Can't understand how you can properly check the freon if the compressor won't run. You will get a pressure reading without a running compressor but you can't tell if it's "full". The unit could be cycling off on the low pressure switch. May just need some freon.

Old 06-12-09, 01:25 AM
Can't help solve your A/C problem, but had a thought. If you are renting the space, your landlord should be responsible for this repair, no?

Old 06-12-09, 04:02 AM
No necessarily the landlord picks-up the tab. It all depends on what the contract of the lease reads.

Old 06-12-09, 03:58 PM
it says I have to maintain n repair any equipment in good working order , he gave me problems over a water heater I had to replace

Old 06-15-09, 08:54 AM
ok, so im gonna go with some advice here and get a hard start kit put in n see if that works first. If not then on to the next suggestion. But first i wanted to know how can i post a picture on here? i want to ask which capacitor do i need to connect the hard start kit to. I read up on it and saw a few videos on how to do it and seems easy just hook it up to the capacitor thats it, right?

Well my question is theres two capactiors, look like two cans lol. Ones a smaller one that looks like an axe body spray bottle with red n white wires to it. The other one is a larger one with beige and purple wires leading to the compressor. Im supposed to hook the hard start up to the bigger capacitor correct?

thanks and i can email people picutres of my unit or if i knew how i could post em here. thanks fellas.

Old 06-15-09, 09:20 AM
The bigger one..........

Old 06-15-09, 09:27 AM
thats what she said.... lol jk

thanks for the reply dun, im gonna go check it out at the hardware store pick one up n see if it works. I'll be back in a day to tell ya the result.

Old 06-16-09, 09:09 AM
Anyone know where I can buy a hard start kit guy at lowes said they don't carry them

Old 06-16-09, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Most likely an HVAC supply store or possibly an appliance parts store. We had several where I used to live that handled both.

Old 06-16-09, 11:19 AM
Ok thanks gunguy that's where I jus got it , now I have the run capacitor out n it has 4 prongs n 3 wires r already connected any one know which prongs to connect these two hard start wires to? I know I'm supposed to be looking for h and c but there's no letters

Old 06-16-09, 12:39 PM
allright so i connected the hard start to the run capacitor that leads to the compressor. WHen i fired her up the compressor sounded a bit better than it did before. Less cranking and rattling noises and also it sounded like it was working better. But again after 15 minutes the fan slowed down and the compressor shut off. I think it could be what Skip said below that it might be cycling off on the low pressure switch. Which in my opinion sounds the most logical reason. The air that was coming out of the wall unit didnt feel that cold. Im thinking the compressor senses that its low on freon n then slows down n shuts off.

On my wall unit there are coils and what etc, there isnt a compressor or any kind of important machinery on the wall unit that could be defective could there?

Old 06-17-09, 12:57 AM
Which fan slows down? The one on the outdoor unit? Do you mean it slows down but continues to run or it shuts off? If it is slowing down but continuing to run for a while, you need to check the fan motor capacitor. The motor should not be slowing down and running at a slower speed. That would signal either a bad capacitor or worn out motor.

Old 06-17-09, 07:30 AM
the fan and compressor sound/look good for about 15 minutes. (This is on the outside unit). Then after the 15 mins the fan slows down a little bit but still spinning very fast. Then about 3 mins after that i went inside to check the temp on the air coming out of the wall unit there was nothing very cold. So i went outside and the outside unit was off. But i went inside to turn it off the wall unit was still on.

Old 06-17-09, 09:26 AM
next time stay outside and watch it

Old 06-19-09, 08:30 AM
I stayed this time n saw the outside unit just give out , the fan did slow down after 15 mins but not that much , how do I find out what kind of fan capacitor I need , my unit is like 30,000 btu

Old 06-19-09, 09:32 AM
What does the compressor do when the fan slows down? It sounds like this is a split type system? IOW- part is outside and part is inside. I did some looking around the Net and found that they are made in Isreal and Carrier owns them.
Tadiran Appliances

Any chance you can post some photos?

To replace the capacitor- turn off the power to the unit. Make a good sketch of where the wires go on the capacitor and take a digital photo as well if you have a camera. Discharge the capacitor by plcing an old screwdriver across the terminals, remove the wires and remove the capacitor. It should have some numbers on it. You're looking for the uf or mfd rating [uf and mfd mean the same thing, just 2 different ways of saying microfarads] and the vac rating. For example, it might say 30/5 uf 370 vac. On the new capacitor you want the same uf rating. For vac you can go up but not down. Example- if your cap is 30/5 uf 370 vac, the new one can be 30/5 uf 370 or 440 vac, but if your cap is 30/5 uf 440 vac, the new one has to be 30/5 uf 440 vac not 370 vac. motor runs caps on a/c units only come in 2 vac flavors- 370 and 440. So, install the new cap and monitor. If that doesn't fix it, replace the fan motor. Let us know how you make out.

Last edited by daddyjohn; 06-19-09 at 09:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-24-09, 07:23 PM
sorry for the delay i been running around like a nut.

I got some photos loaded over to photobucket .
. . . thats the wiring on the top panel. where the capacitors are. Please correct me if im wrong, is the fan capacitor the top silver cylinder with brown n white wires connected to it? and is the run capacitor the bigger one below it? please im sorry if im using the wrong terminology too please inform/correct me at anytime. I totally appreciate the time and knowledge you guys have here.
. . . . this is the view of the outside unit

. . . top view

. . . . and this is the compressor.

Ok when i went out to see what happens the fan will slow down very minimal for a couple of minutes and then the compressor and fan and outside whole unit will shut off at the same time. The compressor actually sounds like its working and fine now its just it shuts off for some reason. And can i just pick up a compressor capacitor at the hvac supply store where i got this hard start kit??

Old 06-24-09, 08:07 PM
HI

the capacitor that i have circled apperes to be bulging at the top (bad). that big one in the back appears to be bad also to be honest with you. did you replace any of those 2.

Old 06-24-09, 11:17 PM
im gonna go to the supply store and pick both up and replace. and see if that works. Thanks for the reply and advice bud, much appreciated. If this works give me the address to all u guys and beers on me.

Old 06-25-09, 02:04 PM
ok, my fan capacitor is a rare one the guy at the supply store said. Its 5 uf plus 10% but the Vac is 500 not 440. So he gave me a 440 and said try it but will it work???

Old 06-25-09, 04:22 PM
NO do not use the 440. Wire 2 10 uf /440 vac or 2 10uf/370 vac caps in series. It will halve the uf rating to right where you need it and double the vac rating which is no problem. Never go down on vac rating, only up. Great photos. You need to put the cover on the compressor terminals back on.

Old 06-25-09, 07:43 PM
hey daddyjohn,

sorry but can you diagram or lay this out in lehman terms for me. im sorry im not up to par with how to do it. Your telling me to hook up two of the 10 uf 440 or 370 vacs together?

the old fan capacitor had just two wires , a brown and a white wire coming into it. If i hook two of them up how would i do this?

Old 06-25-09, 08:25 PM
I'll call them capacitor 1 and capacitor 2 with each of them having 2 terminals, left and right. White wire to cap 1 left, then a wire from cap 1 right to cap 2 left, brown wire to cap 2 right. So you go into cap 1, out of cap 1 into cap 2 then out of cap 2. When wiring capacitors in series, there is a formula to use but the formula works out in such a way that if you wire 2 capacitors with the same UF rating, the total UF is half of the rating of one of the caps. Then, when caps are wired in series, the vac is additive.

Examples:

two 5uf/370 vac wired in series = 2.5uf/740 vac

two 10/440 vac wired in series = 5uf/880 vac

one 10 uf/440 vac and one 10uf/370 vac wired in series = 5uf/810 vac

Old 06-25-09, 08:38 PM
alrighty sweet. Sounds pretty simple.

I'll go tomorrow morning and return the capacitor i got and get two of the same. Two 10 uf 370 vacs

One question. What type of wire do i get to connect capacitor one and two? if you dont answer i'll just research this online no worries. I appreciate the help buddy. You tha man!

what state are you from daddy john? if ur from NJ then ur more than welcome to come down to my ice cream store for some free ice cream for the family.

Old 06-26-09, 09:06 AM
ok, i got two 10uf / 370 vac caps n hooked em up right. I turned the unit on and the fan seemed a bit more powerful this time. But after the 15 mins again the fan and compressor outside shut off at the same time again. ????

Old 06-26-09, 09:37 AM
I think its time to call an HVAC company that works on mini-splits.

If the unit does indeed need to be replaced is that your or your landlords responsability?

Old 06-26-09, 01:53 PM
same as before? fan slows down first, then the compressor goes off. Does that big relay next to the caps stay pulled in?

Old 06-26-09, 04:04 PM
RElay next to the caps? Is that the little black box with the red button on it? The fan doesn't slow Dow it just shuts off with compressor

Old 06-26-09, 05:09 PM
The. Little black box had a black piece pulled in when it was on but popped back out when it shut off