carrier compressor keeps shutting off

Old 06-14-09, 07:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
carrier compressor keeps shutting off

Could someone please help me? I just installed a used window, (Carrier) air conditioner. I don't have any numbers for it and its late here so i can't see to get serial #'s Here is the problem. The unit seems to work, except that when it is on the compressor works for 5 seconds and then shuts down. In 15 or 20 seconds the compressor comes back on and runs for 5 seconds and shuts down again. When the compressor shuts down it sounds almost like its running out of power. I did have to install a 220 line for it which seems fine. The breaker is not clicking off. I don't have the power saver function turned on. I know for a fact that when the unit was taken out of the window it worked properly. The blower motor works just fine, its the compressor that keeps shutting down.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-09, 08:13 PM
you either have a bad capacitor, bad compressor or tight compressor [but first check the wiring at the compressor terminals to see if one is loose or burned]. test the capacitor, if it's ok, try a hard start kit such as a Supco SPP5.

Old 06-25-09, 07:17 AM
Thanks Daddyjohn for the info. Checked the wiring its ok. I did notice when I had the machine apart, the bottom around the copper tubing coils was rusted quite a bit. When i had it running I noticed the tubing going to the compressor was getting hot. I think there might have been a leak in the coolant. Should I bother to get it checked. Its about 6 years old I think. I dont know how to check the capacitor so I can't tell you if it is bad or not. Thanks again for all your help.

Robert

Old 06-25-09, 10:04 AM
Frankly, at that age it's a throwaway.