A/C Ducktwork question (return register)

Old 06-15-09, 05:53 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C Ducktwork question (return register)

Hey All,

We had the ductwork and air handler for our central air system installed on Saturday. We ordered a 2 stage condenser that's coming in a couple of weeks, but they got a jump on the ductwork.

Anyway, originally, the main return (24x24) in the upstairs hall (open concept home, first floor open to second via cathedral ceilings and a "catwalk" that is above the 1st floor living room) was supposed to be about 12 feet away from a supply register over the catwalk. This is a 4 way supply that will drop air down to the first floor over both sides of the catwalk, into a loft area at the end of the catwalk, and lastly towards the main 2nd floor hallway where the return register is.

Problem is - one of the install techs slipped and put his foot through the ceiling a few feet closer to that supply register. The owner of the HVAC company said he'd just relocate the return there, as it was still far enough away from the supply register to not be a problem and cause a loop between the 2. There's about 8 feet between them now. That supply register is fed by a 10" duct.

Does this sound ok? He was willing to fix the ceiling, but asked if I was ok with it, after assuring me it was fine for the system. I said ok, but now am concerned it could be too close. He said there's plenty of space for the cool air to drop and not get sucked up right into the return. Another part of me thinks the return location is actually better as it's near the top of the stairs now, vs tucked into a corner of the hallway.

I searched for recommendations or suggestions about minimum distances, but couldn't really any solid guidance.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 06-15-09, 03:55 PM
A 10 rd. duct with some register designs could have a 14 to 16 foot throw. The cold air would be headed down, but I might want it at least at 12 feet.

I don't like to provide advice on this kind of situation.

Old 06-15-09, 07:36 PM
S
Well, the return is in, so one of the 4 sides of the supply could be impacted. The supply is about 12 or 14" square. Is there an easy way to test once it's all done to know if it's an issue?

The ceiling would have to be patched, and painted, as it would never match if they moved the return.

Old 07-15-09, 06:14 PM
S
Well, just following up on this one. The system has been in for about 2-3 weeks now, and no issues with the return. The house is nicely balanced, and the area fed by the supply I was concerned about cools just fine and doesn't lag behind the other areas. So my assumption is all is well.

Thanks for the pointers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: