a/c not keeping house cool on one side

Old 06-16-09, 06:53 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face a/c not keeping house cool on one side

i live in Texas and it's already hot down here, and the a/c isn't keeping the house cool although it runs all day. My problem is I live in a mobile home, on the side of the house with the unit the air is cold coming out and if i put a ballon over the vent it blows it up in the air on all vents. Where the cross over is to go to the other side of the house the air is cold there too and it blows good out of that vent, but you go to the next vent in either direction (which is about 3-4 ft) and you can feel cold air coming out it just isn't blowing very hard and the further you go down the less its blowing. the only vent on the other side of the house that blows the ballon in the air is the vent with the cross over. it seems that if the air was just pushing better on that side it would be ok. Should we install another cross over or is there another way to get the air pushing on that side. also the house if over 80ft long.

Old 06-16-09, 08:05 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sounds like you have a tee after the cross over, and most the air is blowing out of the register before the tee. You will simply have to experiment in balancing with how much you open or partially close down registers. The only other thing it could be is the duct came disconnected some as it turns up toward the register.

Mobile homes were meant to be sold at a reasonable price and I don't think were engineered so everything works like a million dollar home - or to be super energy efficient. They are made so people go, "Oh yeah? I will get over 1200 square feet of living area for only $X.xx ? I'll TAKE it!"

Old 06-16-09, 08:22 AM
R
first thing checked was the duct under the house - connected completely on both sides, no holes, no tears.

Old 06-16-09, 03:32 PM
I would take the crossover loose on the side that is not working well and look into the duct. A lot of times fiberglass duct-board was used to fabricate the duct work and it comes apart inside the duct and blocks it off.

Old 07-11-09, 02:15 PM
L
cooling on 1 side of double wide mobile home

One of the things that can happen to a double wide is this:The tray that holds the evaporator must be keep clean. Algae does grow in the tray and can plug up the drain hole and when this happens you may find the floor damp around the inside unit;if this should occur,the water that is collected in the tray - can overflow into the duct work.Normally,the water would collect in the vent hose that connects 1 side to the other.When that happens ,it will reduce or stop the air flow from 1 side to the other.Check the drain hole,if plugged-unplug it with a wire or whatever and go from there. You may have to remove the duct hose to drain the water to get things back into order.This thing happened to my son,who has a double wide;it took me a while to figure it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: