Novice - Comparing Quotes for New AC/Gas Furnace

Old 06-18-09, 06:37 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Novice - Comparing Quotes for New AC/Gas Furnace

Hi,

My AC and gas furnace need to be replaced and I am trying to figure out what I really need to buy. I have received quotes from 2 different companies and not sure what the bare minimum is that I need and how much money the energy efficient ratings will actually save me. Any advice would be much appreciated. Each company gave me 3 package tiers and have shown the lower 2 tiers below:

1st Company

Mid-Range Option (15.5 SEER)
Carrier Gas Furnace 58CTA
Carrier AC 24APA (with Infinity control)
Total Cost: $7,376
10 year parts/labor

Lower-End Option (13 SEER)
Carrier Gas Furnace 58STA
Carrier AC 24ACB
Total Cost: $6,464
5 year parts/ 1 year labor on Furnace
10 year parts/ 1 year labor on AC

2nd Company

Mid-Range Option (15.5 SEER)
Bryant Gas Furnace 315AAV048090
Bryant AC 187ANA048 (with Evolution control)
Total Cost: $7,650
10 year parts/labor

Lower-End Option (13.5 SEER)
Bryant Gas Furnace 312AAV042090
Bryant AC 165ANA041
10 year parts/labor
Total Cost: $6690

I am not sure which package is best taking into account the efficiency, cost, and warranty. Also, not sure if I really need the sophisticated controls on the mid-tier packages.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Twine

Old 06-18-09, 11:48 AM
Carrier and Bryant are both made by carrier. It is the same equipment with a different name and model number.
Not sure where you are from, seems a little high for around here.

Old 06-18-09, 12:10 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Carrier and Bryant are both made by carrier. It is the same equipment with a different name and model number.
Not sure where you are from, seems a little high for around here.
Your right about Carrier and Bryant being made by Carrier, but the equipment listed is not apples for apples.

Carrier mid range furnace is two-stage
Bryant mid range is two-stage variable speed

Carrier lower end is straight 80%
Bryant lower end is two-stage

I would lean towards the Bryant mid-range, thats just me.

Which contractor do you feel better about?

Did they do a load calc?

Old 06-18-09, 01:05 PM
T
Thanks for the input. I am not sure if they did a load calc. I have been using the 1st company for 15 years or so, but I also find company #2 to be a little easier to deal with (they are more of a local shop).

I am interested in lowering the cost of the system. I don't really need a lot of bells/whistles and not sure how the energy efficiency will really save me in actuality (two-stage vs. one, and variable, etc.).

In trying to get a lower quote from the 2nd company, they suggested using a 13 SEER AC unit with the 2-stage furnance. When I mentioned this combo the first company, they told me that those two components don't match each other according to the manufacturer. He said it would work, but that is wouldn't match. Is he telling the truth? If so, does it in fact not matter much?

Thanks!

Twine

Old 06-19-09, 04:28 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You say you have been with company #1 for 15yr but company #2 is easier to deal with, can you explain?

If your simply shopping price go with the Carrier lower end or ask company #1 to quote there secondary line, I'am sure they have one. You could also ask company #2 to quote you Payne equipment.

Having said that, I've always stated the installing contractor is the most important thing not the equipment. I would think company #1 would go the extra mile for a long time customer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: