Ducane AC outdoor fan won't budge; cools for few mins

Old 06-18-09, 01:20 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ducane AC outdoor fan won't budge; cools for few mins

Hi, I just moved into a house that had been empty for at least a year - meaning the AC has probably not been run in that time.

I have a Ducane AC10B36-B outdoor unit. Depending on who you ask, it is a 2000 or 2005 unit.

When I turn on the air, it blows cold inside for a few minutes and then turns tepid (perhaps cold air coming from the cool crawl space?).
The outdoor fan does not turn at all. I tried the trick people suggested by pushing the fan with a stick but it won't budge. Warm air starts to blow out the unit & I turn it off.

I don't see any rust or impediments (leaves, branches). The thermostat is functioning properly and power is going to the outdoor unit.

It is currently 90 degrees F outside.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-09, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If the outside fan won't turn (with power off), then first thing would be to replace the fan and the associated capacitor.

The compressor is probably overheating (?) because there is no air being pulled through the coils to exchange heat.

Don't run it this way

Old 06-19-09, 04:45 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If outdoor fan is siezed it needs to be replaced as "Gunguy" said. The capacitor may be a duel cap for fan and comp need to verify that.

Replacing a CFM can be no problem or can turn out to be a bit of a hassle, and yes, do not run system until its replaced.

Old 06-19-09, 06:29 AM
M
I read it as he's got no life at all in his condensor unit and the air is all coming out of the indoor blower. Check contactor?

Old 06-19-09, 06:38 AM
S
I'm no expert of course, but your AC is behaving as mine was -- save any cool air coming out, and that's likely because I don't have a crawlspace but a hot attic. HVAC guy came out yesterday and told me that the contactor needs replacing due to ants & company.

It doesn't look to be too difficult a fix. Turn off all power, DIAGRAM the wires (instead of just taking pictures as I did, doggone it!) then put the wires back on; that SHOULD do the trick, assuming it's the contactor.

Oh, and the universal contactor? $10.

Good luck to you!

Brie